- Be sure the follow the Pro Rata channel, which includes the daily newsletter, podcast, and updates from me throughout the day.
Illustration: Rebecca Zisser/Axios
Digital payments platform Stripe has raised $600 million in new funding and is now valued at nearly $36 billion, co-founder and president John Collison tells Axios.
Why it matters: Venture capitalists remain willing and able to invest big dollars in select companies, despite concerns that some limited partners could struggle to meet capital calls.
This is an extension to Stripe's Series G round, which closed last fall on $250 million, and came together in just the past few weeks. Most of the participants are existing investors.
Between the lines: Stripe also may be one of the few companies to be somewhat benefiting from lockdowns, given its focus on e-commerce enablement.
The Paycheck Protection Program could be out of money by the time you eat lunch.
Meanwhile, Congressional Democrats and Republicans still have not settled their differences in order to replenish the pot.
🎧 Pro Rata Podcast digs into the Essential Worker Bill of Rights, a new proposal from Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.).
Illustration: Eniola Odetunde/Axios
DraftKings yesterday received SEC approval to go public via a reverse merger with blank-check acquisition company Diamond Eagle, which also will include the roll-in of sports betting infrastructure platform SBTech.
Today’s project is for your kids to make a food house. All you’ll need is some toothpicks, and then small, soft foods like grapes, berries, cherry tomatoes, or marshmallows. Bonus points for unusual foods. For examples, just click here.
Yesterday I asked for toilet paper animals, which was very derivative of the tissue box challenge on Monday. One of our Boston readers sent us her son's creations:
• Robinhood, a Menlo Park, Calif.-based no-fee online brokerage, is raising around $250 million at an $8 billion valuation led by Sequoia Capital, per Bloomberg. http://axios.link/4ljL
• Airwallex, an Australian cross-border payments business, raised US$160 million in Series D funding at a $1.8 billion post-money valuation. ANZi Ventures and Salesforce Ventures were joined by return backers DST Global, Tencent, Sequoia Capital China, Hillhouse Capital, and Horizons Ventures.
• Vast Data, a New York-based universal storage startup, raised $100 million in Series C funding at a $1.2 billion valuation. Next47 led, and was joined by 83North, Commonfund Capital, Dell Technologies Capital, Goldman Sachs, Greenfield Partners, Mellanox Capital, and Norwest Venture Partners. www.vastdata.com
• ByHeart, a New York-based provider of infant and baby nutrition products, raised $70 million in Series A funding. Polaris Partners, D1 Capital Partners, and OCV Partners co-led, and were joined by Red Sea Ventures, Sean Parker, Bellco Capital, and Two River. http://axios.link/v9UV
• Taxfix, a Germany-based mobile tax filing app, raised $65 million in Series C funding. Index Ventures led, and was joined by return backers Valar Ventures, Creandum, and Redalpine. http://axios.link/RFB8
• Lucid, a South Jordan, Utah-based maker of visual workspace apps, raised $52 million. Iconiq Capital led, and was joined by Cross Creek and return backers Meritech Capital Partners and Spectrum Equity. www.lucid.co
• Attentive, a New York-based personalized mobile messaging platform for brands, raised $40 million in new Series C funding from Sequoia Capital and Coatue Management. http://axios.link/2Faj
• Gousto, a London-based meal-kit service, raised £33 million. Perwyn led, and was joined by BFG Ventures, MMC Ventures and Joe Wicks. http://axios.link/D3Ki
• Coder, an Austin, Texas-based software development platform, raised $30 million in Series B funding. GGV Capital led, and was joined by Redpoint Ventures, Uncork Capital and In-Q-Tel. http://axios.link/duIw
• NoBroker, an Indian apartment rental marketplace, raised $30 million in additional Series D funding from General Atlantic. http://axios.link/OcaS
• Juganu, an Israeli provider of smart connectivity and lighting solutions for cities and retail, raised $18 million. Comcast Ventures led, and was joined by return backers Viola Growth and Amdocs. http://axios.link/dvqB
• Alluxio, a San Mateo, Calif.-based provider of open-source cloud data orchestration software, raised $15.5 million in Series B funding co-led by Volcanics Ventures and return backer Andreessen Horowitz. www.alluxio.io
• Nifty Games, a San Francisco-based mobile sports games publisher, raised over $12 million in Series A funding. March Capital Partners led, and was joined by Vulcan Capital, Courtside Ventures, Transcend Fund, Century Game, OneTeam Ventures, aXiomatic Gaming, and Defy Partners. http://axios.link/BNsZ
• Previse, a London-based supplier payment platform, raised $11 million. Reefknot Investments and Mastercard co-led, and were joined by return backers Bessemer Venture Partners, Hambro Perks, and Augmentum Fintech. http://axios.link/BkVd
• Kairos Aerospace, a Mountain View, Calif.-based aerial monitor of methane emissions, raised $9 million in Series C funding from OGCI Climate Investments, John Crane, and Energy Innovation Capital. http://axios.link/rxBz
• Autofleet, an Israeli provider of fleet optimization and vehicle-as-a-service solutions, raised $7.5 million in seed and Series A funding from MizMaa Ventures, Maniv Mobility, Next Gear Ventures, and Liil Ventures. www.autofleet.io
• Natterbox, a London-based provider of voice cloud services, raised £7.5 million from Octopus Investments. http://axios.link/0VqR
• CleanSlate UV, a Toronto-based provider of chemical-free sanitizer for mobile devices, raised US$7 million led by Prolog Ventures. http://axios.link/LOLq
🚑 Yes Health, a San Francisco-based provider of digital health counseling related to Type 2 diabetes, raised $6 million in Series A funding led by Khosla Ventures. http://axios.link/gHqC
• Gembah, an Austin, Texas-based product development platform, raised $3.3 million in seed funding led by Silverton Partners. http://axios.link/aQgP
• Count, a London-based data consolidation and analytics platform, raised $2.5 million from LocalGlobe and Global Founders Fund. www.count.co
• Sprout.ai, a London-based insurance claims settlement startup, raised $2.5 million in new seed funding. Amadeus Capital Partners led, and was joined by Playfair Capital and Techstars. http://axios.link/73Iu
• Grain Management acquired a majority stake in Hunter Communications, a provider of bandwidth infrastructure in southern Oregon and northern California. www.hunterfiber.com
• Montrose Environmental Group, an Irvine, Calif.-based portfolio company of Oaktree Capital Management, acquired CTEH, a Little Rock, Ark.-based scientific consulting firm focused on emergency preparedness, response, and recovery. www.cteh.com
• Special Packaging Solutions Investment, a portfolio company of Investindustrial, offered to buy up to 20% of Italian bottle caps maker Guala Closures (BIT: GCL). http://axios.link/o9yO
• TSG, a revenue management software company owned by Advent International, acquired PerfectMind, a Canadian provider of software to the parks and rec industry. www.transactionservices.global
• Edison Partners sold Clearpool Group, a New York-based provider of electronic trading solutions, to BMO Financial Group.
🚑 Gilead Sciences (Nasdaq: GILD) has held discussions about acquiring a stake in Arcus Biosciences (NYSE: RCUS), a cancer therapeutics company with around a $716 million market cap, per Bloomberg. Arcus shareholders include Google Ventures (11% stake). http://axios.link/IpcL
🙏 Thanks for reading Axios Pro Rata! Please ask your friends, colleagues, and bored sports betters to sign up.