😎 D.C. readers ... You're invited: Join Evan Ryan and me tomorrow at 8:30 a.m. for an Axios News Shapers to mark the National Governors Association winter meeting:
- Jennifer Garner and Save the Children SVP Mark Shriver will discuss early childhood education. And for a first-hand view from the states, we'll talk with Oregon Gov. Kate Brown (D) and New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu (R).
- RSVP here.
1 big thing: Trump's Golden State bad blood
Expect America's most prominent hate-hate relationship to get even nastier as President Trump and California clash in the lead-up to 2020.
- Hillary Clinton walloped Trump there by 30 percentage points in 2016.
- The Democratic "blue wave" in 2018 swept loads of California Republicans from the House.
- It's not just elections: Trump has turned the power of the federal government on California, while the Golden State has taken the lead in seeing him in court, Politico Mag's Michael Grunwald reports.
The big picture: The most meaningful political fight in America in 2019 isn't between Trump and Congress — it's between Trump and liberal states, led by California.
Trump's offensive, flagged by Axios' Scott Rosenberg and Ben Geman:
- Threatening California funding for topics ranging from forest management to high-speed rail.
- Threatened to yank back a Clean Air Act waiver that effectively gives California the ability to set higher miles-per-gallon rules.
- Publicly derided the 9th Circuit based in San Francisco, which has repeatedly challenged his administration's actions.
And a brief list of areas where California has sued Trump, per Axios' Stef Kight:
- The border wall
- The border emergency
- Child separation
- Sanctuary cities
- Immigration questions on the 2020 census
- Trump's attempt to ban transgender troops
- Birth control
- The Affordable Care Act
- Ozone rules
- Federal coal leasing
- Methane release on public and tribal land
- 3D guns
Go deeper: The bad blood between Trump and California
2. What you missed
- Under pressure, Google will end mandatory arbitration for employees. Go deeper.
- North Carolina will hold a new election in its 9th Congressional District, which was plagued by election fraud on behalf of the GOP candidate. Go deeper.
- Trump adviser Roger Stone may no longer speak publicly or post on social media about his case. Go deeper.
- Consumer Reports says it will no longer recommend the Tesla Model 3 based on complaints from car owners. Go deeper.
- An analyst with the IRS was charged today with leaking Michael Cohen's confidential bank records to Michael Avenatti. Read the charges.
3. 1 fun thing
Sully, the service dog for the late George H.W. Bush, met pilot "Sully" Sullenberger on the TODAY Show.
- "It's quite an honor,'' Sullenberger said.