1 big thing: Trump's good cop, bad cop routine
President Trump is in Davos, the first sitting U.S. president to attend the conference since Bill Clinton in 2000. He had a pair of bilateral meetings today, with two more expected tomorrow.
Good cop: Trump with British PM Theresa May today:
- "The Prime Minister and myself have had a really great relationship, although some people don't necessarily believe that. But I can tell you it's true."
Bad cop: Trump had tougher words for the Palestinians while meeting with Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu:
- Trump said the Palestinians "disrespected" the U.S. when they said they would not meet with VP Mike Pence last week.
- "They're going to have to want to make peace, too," Trump added, "or we're going to have nothing to do with it any longer."
- Why it matters, per Axios contributor Barak Ravid: "There is not one living Palestinian who will agree to sign a peace deal with Israel without having the capital of Palestine in East Jerusalem."
- What Trump said: Recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel took "the hardest subject" in any peace negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians "off the table" and "we don’t have to talk about it anymore."
- Go deeper: Ravid on what Trump's comments mean for the peace process
After his bilateral meetings: "Trump hosted a dinner with leaders of some of the world’s largest corporations, including Nestle, SAP and Siemens, Deloitte and Bayer. Senior members of his cabinet were also present." [Reuters]
2. What you missed
- Oprah says she doesn't have the DNA for a 2020 presidential race. Quote.
- George Soros has joined the techlash, and wants Facebook and Google regulated like public utilities.
- The saga of the missing FBI agent texts came to a close today, as the Justice Department announced they've been found. More.
- Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin clarified today his comments yesterday that “a weaker dollar is good." Details.
- A ridge of teeth discovered in a cave in Israel are between 177,000-194,000 years old. If they are human, they would be the oldest anatomically modern human fossil found outside of Africa. Dive in.