The latest repeal roadblock
The Senate Republican effort to repeal the Affordable Care Act hit another bump today, with three senators coming out against a clean repeal.
- The list of "no" votes: Shelley Moore Capito, Susan Collins, and Lisa Murkowski.
- Majority Leader Mitch McConnell will still push for a procedural vote on the bill in the "very near future," even if the lacks the votes, he said today.
- Trump's reaction: "Let Obamacare fail, it will be a lot easier. And I think we're probably in that position where we'll just let Obamacare fail. We're not going to own it. I'm not going to own it. I can tell you the Republicans are not going to own it. We'll let Obamacare fail and then the Democrats are going to come to us."
What we're watching: Senior GOP aides tell Axios' Caitlin Owens that the holdouts are being pushed to vote yes on the first of two votes, although one aide told Caitlin: "No one believes a deal can be made at this point. The three ladies are waaaay smarter than that."
What you missed
- The 8th man in the Trump Jr meeting: Meet Ike Kaveladze.
- Former journalist in Congress: Rep. Cheri Bustos on the media's Trump focus. Our latest Smarter Faster.
- Texas' bathroom bill: More than a dozen large companies are urging Texas against an anti-transgender "bathroom bill." Details.
- 250Kby2030: Axios' Alexi McCammond scoops the radical campaign to get more women to run for office. Highlights.
- China's investment in U.S. autos: While China is working to keep cash at home, it's making an exception on cars. The numbers.
1 fun thing about dogs
Dogs may have split from wolves in a single domestication event 40,000 years ago, per a new study.