Happy afternoon. I hope you're enjoying your 🦃 day, and the long weekend ahead. PM is short and sweet today, so you can get caught up and back to relaxation.
1 big thing: Trump Thanksgiving
President Trump stopped by a Coast Guard station in Florida today, saying he was "very proud" of the entire branch, particularly after rescue efforts from Hurricane Harvey:
- "If you were looking at it as a brand, there's no brand that went up more than the Coast Guard, with what happened in Texas."
- Trump also addressed U.S. service members stationed abroad by video conference today, telling them they're "very, very special people to me, and to everyone in this country."
- His overall message: The military is succeeding because he's letting them "fight to win," and the economy back home is doing great too.
The Trumps' Thanksgiving Day menu, per the White House pool: "turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes w marshmallows, a variety of baked goods, local produce and cheeses, red snapper and Florida stone crab."
2. What you missed
- Vice President Mike Pence is planning to give a landmark speech at the Knesset — the Israeli Parliament — during his trip to Israel in Mid-December. Details.
- Zimbabwe's military has granted ousted dictator Robert Mugabe immunity from prosecution and guaranteed the safety of his family. More.
- Trump's politics-first approach to sexual misconduct allegations. The background.
- For the first time, scientists have used a cell to record what happens in the world around it. They were able to retrieve the information and read it in chronological order. The story.