May 24, 2022
Good afternoon: Today's PM — edited by Justin Green — is 493 words, a 2-minute read.
🚨 Texas school shooting: At least two are dead after a mass shooting at an elementary school in Uvalde, west of San Antonio. Uvalde Memorial Hospital said it received 13 children by ambulance or buses for treatment. Live updates.
⚽️ 1 big thing: World Cup USA
The World Cup is coming to North America in 2026, and 16 U.S. metro areas are vying for matches, Axios Sports editor Kendall Baker reports.
- 60 matches, including the quarterfinals, semifinals and the final, will be hosted by the U.S.
The twist: Canada and Mexico will each host 10 matches — the first time a World Cup will be split among three hosts.
- The matches likely will be split among 16 total sites: 8–12 in the U.S., and 4–6 in Mexico and Canada.
🔮 What's next: FIFA plans to announce the final sites on June 16.
The U.S. finalists (L.A. has two stadiums in the running):
- AT&T Stadium (Arlington, Texas)
- Mercedes-Benz Stadium (Atlanta)
- M&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore)
- Paul Brown Stadium (Cincinnati)
- Empower Field (Denver)
- MetLife Stadium (East Rutherford, N.J.)
- Gillette Stadium (Foxborough, Mass.)
- NRG Stadium (Houston)
- SoFi Stadium (Inglewood, Calif.)
- Arrowhead Stadium (Kansas City, Mo.)
- Hard Rock Stadium (Miami)
- Nissan Stadium (Nashville)
- Camping World Stadium (Orlando)
- Rose Bowl (Pasadena, Calif.)
- Lincoln Financial Field (Philadelphia)
- Levi's Stadium (Santa Clara, Calif.)
- Lumen Field (Seattle)
2. 🧸 Birth rate rises for first time since 2014
The U.S. birth rate rose last year for the first time in seven years, Axios' Adriel Bettelheim writes from CDC data out today.
- Why it matters: Potential factors include the underlying health of mothers, access to care and the use of fertility treatments.
The cesarean delivery rate increased to 32.1% from 31.8% in 2020.
Context: U.S. births had been declining for more than a decade before COVID hit.
- "I would expect that we would continue to see small, modest decreases," Dr. Denise Jamieson, chair of gynecology and obstetrics at Emory University School of Medicine, told AP.
The percentage of premature births (less than 37 weeks' gestation) rose.
3. Catch up quick
- 🍞 Speaker Pelosi is pushing back on the Catholic Church for denying her Communion, telling MSNBC's "Morning Joe" that the church is inconsistent in its decisions to deny Communion. Video.
- 🎵 New backlash: A growing number of musicians, authors and actors say their management is pushing them to find ways to go viral on TikTok, even if it requires faking a "viral moment." Go deeper.
- 🌊 The upcoming Atlantic hurricane season is likely to be unusually active, with as many as six major hurricanes for 2022. Go deeper.
- 🏈 The NFL is keeping the pre-draft combine in Indianapolis, it said today.
- 📺 Jen Psaki will host a new streaming program on MSNBC that's set to debut in the first quarter of 2023. Go deeper.
4. 1 smile to go: Free doughnuts tomorrow
Krispy Kreme is giving free doughnuts tomorrow to high school and college seniors who wear Class of 2022 swag, Axios' Kelly Tyko reports.
- The "Senior Day Dozen" includes eight Original Glazed doughnuts and four custom 2022 doughnuts.