1 big thing: Trump endorses Roy Moore
President Trump is fully on the Roy Moore train, tweeting his support today and calling the Alabama Senate candidate while en route to Utah to announce he's scaling back a pair of national monuments.
His big quote, according to the Moore campaign: "go get 'em, Roy!"
Trump's five news items from today:
- Tweeted endorsement for Roy Moore: "Democrats refusal to give even one vote for massive Tax Cuts is why we need Republican Roy Moore to win in Alabama. We need his vote on stopping crime, illegal immigration, Border Wall, Military, Pro Life, V.A., Judges 2nd Amendment and more. No to Jones, a Pelosi/Schumer Puppet!"
- Compared Michael Flynn to Hillary Clinton: "I feel badly for Gen. Flynn. I feel very badly. He's led a very strong life, and I feel very badly. I will say this, Hillary Clinton lied many times to the FBI and nothing happened to her. Flynn lied, and they destroyed his life, and I think it's a shame." [Video]
- Encouraged Sen. Orrin Hatch to run for re-election. Reports from Utah have suggested Mitt Romney could run if Hatch retires.
- Signed two proclamations shrinking national monuments in Utah: The Bears Ears monument is shrinking from 1.5 million acres to 220,000 acres. The Grand Staircase-Escalante is going from 2 million acres to 1 million acres.
- Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer will meet with Trump after all. They'll visit the White House on Thursday.
2. What you missed
- No deal just yet on Brexit: The European Union and the United Kingdom failed to reach a Brexit deal today after a round of negotiations in Brussels.
- Broadcom goes hostile: It intends to nominate 11 new directors whom it would like appointed to Qualcomm's board, after its proposed acquisition fell through last month. More.
- One of the six women known to have reached a harassment settlement with Fox News host Bill O'Reilly, sued both Fox and O'Reilly for defamation and breach of contract. The background.
- The private equity owner of Arby's is raising a $2 billion war-chest to buy additional restaurant chains. Dig in.
- Facebook is launching a kids-focused messaging app with tight parental controls that includes group video chat in the vein of Houseparty. The details.
3. One fun tweet du jour
The first-ever pizza party in space is getting sky-high reviews, according to AP's Marcia Dunn.
- "The fixings flew up last month on a commercial supply ship, and the crew wasted little time pulling out the flatbread, tomato sauce, cheese, pepperoni, olives, olive oil, anchovy paste and pesto."
- "After making their own individual-size pizzas, the six astronauts tossed and twirled them like floating Frisbees, before heating and devouring them."