Two quotes from President Trump in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., who would have been 88 today:
- "The Reverend’s devotion to fighting the injustice of segregation and discrimination ignited the American spirit of fraternity and reminded us of our higher purpose."
- "Dr. King’s peaceful crusade for justice and equality opened our Nation’s eyes to the humbling truth that we were very far from fulfilling our obligation to the promises set forth by our forebearers."
- Go deeper: Trump's MLK Day video
The Rev. Bernice King, King’s daughter, in an AP interview ahead of the holiday:
- “This is what I would like President Trump to do: Don’t let the King Holiday find you using your Twitter account in an inappropriate way … If he can dare to do that, I would be proud on that day that our president honored Dr. King by not doing things that are offensive.”
- “Trump’s election could be a blessing in disguise..."
- "This is the opportunity for America to correct itself.”