Situational awareness: Amazon stock is soaring after crushing sales and earnings expectations.
1 big thing: Cosby's guilty verdicts
Bill Cosby was found guilty today on three counts of drugging and sexually assaulting Andrea Constand back in 2004.
- The three counts: "penetration with lack of consent, penetration while unconscious and penetration after administering an intoxicant." [NYT]
- Each of the charges brings the potential of 10 years in prison, but they could be served concurrently.
- Cosby's first trial in this case deadlocked last year.
- He is currently free on bail.
Why it matters: This is a landmark verdict for the #MeToo movement. A powerful man is going to jail as a result of women brave enough to come forward with their stories.
What's next: "Cosby is facing civil actions from several accusers, many of whom are suing him for defamation because, they say, he or his staff branded them as liars by dismissing their allegations as fabrications." [NYT]
P.S. Cosby cursed at the prosecutor after the verdict for suggesting he was a flight risk for having a plane: "He doesn’t have a plane, you asshole.”
Bonus: Trumpworld's good day/bad day
2. What you missed
- Otto Warmbier’s parents are suing North Korea for "brutally" torturing and murdering him. Go deeper.
- Seven of the world's largest pharmaceutical companies cumulatively collected $12.1 billion of profit in the first three months of 2018. By the numbers.
- Trump publicly used Stormy Daniels' name for the first time — and confirmed that Michael Cohen had worked for him on the issue. Highlights from his "Fox & Friends" interview.
- There's a U.S. shortage of 51,000 truck drivers, projected to rise to 100,000 by 2021, USA Today reports.
3. 1 fun thing
Broadway is going long, the AP's Mark Kennedy reports: