Situational awareness: Rep. Tim Murphy (R-Pa.) will resign from Congress after reports he'd pushed his mistress to have an abortion.
1 big thing: NRA green lights bump stocks review
The NRA is calling on the federal government to review whether to ban bump stocks, the device reportedly used by Las Vegas shooting suspect Stephen Paddock:
- In a statement this afternoon, the NRA called on the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives "to immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law. The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
- White House comment: Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said the White House "welcomes" the conversation.
- House Speaker Paul Ryan today: "[C]learly that's something we need to look into."
- Context from the NYT: "Twelve of the rifles [in the Las Vegas hotel room]... were outfitted with 'bump stocks,' devices that allow a semiautomatic rifle to fire hundreds of rounds per minute, which may explain how he was able to shoot so quickly, killing 58 people and wounding hundreds of others. The [ATF] has ruled that bump stocks do not violate laws that tightly limit ownership of machine guns, and some lawmakers have called for them to be banned."
Be smart: Most lawmakers hadn't heard of these devices. This is a politically safe way for Republicans to look like they're acting on guns. But Republican lawmakers tell me there has been no sign of movement in either the House or Senate toward serious, substantive gun control.
2. What you missed
- Unicorn no more: Jessica Alba's Honest Company is taking a billion dollar loss to its valuation, Axios' Dan Primack scoops.
- Allegations against Harvey Weinstein: The NYT uncovered over three decades worth of "sexual harassment and unwanted physical contact" allegations against the Hollywood producer. He's suing them over the story.
- "Dreamer" deadline: Thousands are missing the deadline today for DACA renewals. The story.
- A big chart: A growing number of Americans — 41%— believe "racial discrimination is the main reason black people can't get ahead" in society. See it.
- Trump and the Iran deal: The president plans to decertify the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, according to "people briefed on an emerging White House strategy for Iran." The report.
- Bonus: Your Netflix plan is about to go up a buck a month. Details.
3. 1 futuristic thing
What it will take to get to Mars — the latest Axios Expert Voices post addresses the challenges we need to face before sending people to the Red Planet.