Happy Eclipse Day!
A delightfully Trumpian moment, captured by White House pool reporter Ben Jacobs of The Guardian:
- "At approximately 2:39, the President initially gesticulated to the crowd below and pointed at the sky. As he did so, one of the White House aides standing beneath the Blue Room Balcony shouted 'Don't look.'"
Go deeper: More photos from the White House's eclipse viewing, from Axios' Alayna Treene.
What you missed
- Secret Service capped out: More than 1,000 agents have already hit the federally mandated caps for salary and overtime allowances. It's an ongoing issue.
- The cost of an eclipse: U.S. companies lost $700 million in productivity today, which pales in comparison to some annual events. List.
- Barcelona suspect killed: Spanish police said Monday that they have shot and killed Younes Abouyaaqoub. The latest.
- Navy pauses after another collision: Defense Secretary put the entire fleet on pause after the fourth incident of this year. And two this summer!
- Ford's CTO on driverless cars: Axios' Ina Fried talked with Ken Washington. The Q&A.
The president is speaking tonight at Ft. Myer on the war in Afghanistan. He's expected to announce a new strategy that could result in thousands more U.S. troops being deployed.