Apple has revamped its high-end phone line with a new iPhone Xs and a larger-screen iPhone Xs Max as well as a colorful new lower-cost model, the iPhone Xr.
- Apple also updated the Apple Watch featuring a larger screen, fall detection and the ability to take an electrocardiogram.
Between the lines, via Axios' Ina Fried: This was very much an "s" year for the iPhone, meaning that the changes were largely incremental rather than revolutionary.
- That said, bringing the iPhone X-like features to the rest of the product line could spur some to upgrade. The new health-oriented features of Apple Watch series 4 could also help shift it from nice-to-have to must-have for some.
iPhone Xs and Xs Max:
- Basics: Xs is 5.8 inches and Xs Max is 6.5 inches, with three color options and up to 512 GB of storage.
- Camera: Improved rear and front cameras, including a larger sensor on the main camera, and the ability to adjust depth of field after photos are taken.
- Battery: Up to 30 minutes more battery life for iPhone Xs over iPhone X, and iPhone Xs Max has an hour and a half more battery life.
- Price: iPhone Xs starts at $999, and iPhone Xs Max starts at $1099.
- Preorder on Friday, shipping Sept. 21.
- Bonus: Dual SIM option letting you travel and have a local data plan or have two phone numbers.
- Basics: Aluminum model with 6.1-inch display on a device in between size of iPhone 8 and 8 Plus. Comes in six colors. Has Face ID and most other iPhone X and Xs features, but not 3D touch. Uses an LCD display instead of pricier OLED.
- Camera: Single 12-megapixel rear camera.
- Battery: Up to an hour and a half more battery life than iPhone 8 Plus, per Apple.
- Price: Starts at $749. It will come in three storage options: 64GB, 128 GB and 256GB.
- Order Oct. 19 and will ship Oct. 26.
- Bonus: A12 bionic chip.
Apple Watch Series 4:
- Basics: The Series 4 has 30% larger screens and a thinner case, with a 50% louder speaker. New dual-core, 64-bit S4 chip.
- Battery: Same "all-day" battery life rated by Apple at 18-hours.
- Price: Starts at $399. The cellular-equipped model starts at $499.
- Pre-order available starting Friday and ship Sept. 21.
- Bonus: A new electrical heart sensor allows the Apple Watch to perform an electrocardiogram (ECG). An improved accelerometer and gyroscope allows the Series 4 watch to identify falls and summon help.