Situational awareness: Hurricane Florence's peak winds are fluctuating, and it is expected to remain a dangerous “major hurricane” of Category 3 or greater until it arrives at the coast.
1 big thing: Apple day comes once a year
Apple has revamped its high-end phone line with a new iPhone Xs and a larger-screen iPhone Xs Max as well as a colorful new lower-cost model, the iPhone Xr.
- Apple also updated the Apple Watch featuring a larger screen, fall detection and the ability to take an electrocardiogram.
Between the lines, via Axios' Ina Fried: This was very much an "s" year for the iPhone, meaning that the changes were largely incremental rather than revolutionary.
- That said, bringing the iPhone X-like features to the rest of the product line could spur some to upgrade. The new health-oriented features of Apple Watch series 4 could also help shift it from nice-to-have to must-have for some.
iPhone Xs and Xs Max:
- Basics: Xs is 5.8 inches and Xs Max is 6.5 inches, with three color options and up to 512 GB of storage.
- Camera: Improved rear and front cameras, including a larger sensor on the main camera, and the ability to adjust depth of field after photos are taken.
- Battery: Up to 30 minutes more battery life for iPhone Xs over iPhone X, and iPhone Xs Max has an hour and a half more battery life.
- Price: iPhone Xs starts at $999, and iPhone Xs Max starts at $1099.
- Preorder on Friday, shipping Sept. 21.
- Bonus: Dual SIM option letting you travel and have a local data plan or have two phone numbers.
- Basics: Aluminum model with 6.1-inch display on a device in between size of iPhone 8 and 8 Plus. Comes in six colors. Has Face ID and most other iPhone X and Xs features, but not 3D touch. Uses an LCD display instead of pricier OLED.
- Camera: Single 12-megapixel rear camera.
- Battery: Up to an hour and a half more battery life than iPhone 8 Plus, per Apple.
- Price: Starts at $749. It will come in three storage options: 64GB, 128 GB and 256GB.
- Order Oct. 19 and will ship Oct. 26.
- Bonus: A12 bionic chip.
Apple Watch Series 4:
- Basics: The Series 4 has 30% larger screens and a thinner case, with a 50% louder speaker. New dual-core, 64-bit S4 chip.
- Battery: Same "all-day" battery life rated by Apple at 18-hours.
- Price: Starts at $399. The cellular-equipped model starts at $499.
- Pre-order available starting Friday and ship Sept. 21.
- Bonus: A new electrical heart sensor allows the Apple Watch to perform an electrocardiogram (ECG). An improved accelerometer and gyroscope allows the Series 4 watch to identify falls and summon help.
Bonus: Photos du jour
2. What you missed
- Median household income for Americans grew by 1.8% in 2017 to $61,400, with men and white Americans benefiting most, according to the newest Census data. Go deeper.
- The head of the FDA is considering banning flavored e-cigarettes from the U.S. market in response to an “epidemic” of teen use. Go deeper.
- President Trump authorized sanctions on foreigners who meddle in U.S. elections. What they're saying.
- Tim Armstrong is leaving Oath, the Verizon media unit that houses both Yahoo and AOL. He will be succeeded by chief operating officer Guru Gowrappan, who joined earlier this year from Alibaba.
- The longtime executive producer of "60 Minutes" is out after months of allegations of sexual harassment. Go deeper.
- Bonus: Dr. Leana Wen was named Planned Parenthood's next president today. Meet her.
3. 1 film thing
"John Carpenter’s original 'Halloween' is returning to theaters on Sept. 27 on more than 1,000 screens — three weeks before the reboot arrives," Variety's Dave McNary reports.
- "The original film has been restored and remastered digitally, created under the supervision of original cinematographer Dean Cundey."
- "In the new film, Curtis’ character has a final confrontation with Michael Myers, who has haunted her since she narrowly escaped his killing spree on Halloween night four decades ago."
- "The new 'Halloween' finds Strode as a reclusive grandmother still traumatized by her encounters with the killer and praying every night to get one more chance to dispatch Myers. After he escapes prison, she gets her wish."