Kushner's day in the public eye
Kushner outside the White House today:
- The big quote: "Let me be very clear: I did not collude with Russia nor do I know of anyone else in the campaign who did so."
- A message for the base: "Donald Trump had a better message and ran a smarter campaign and that is why he won. Suggesting otherwise ridicules those who voted for him."
- Go deeper: HIs full statement to Congress... The video...
Our mindmeld: Kushner has a top legal and P.R. team, and the potentially problematic day was deftly handled. At the White House, the internal reviews of Kushner's written statement and comments for the cameras were strong, even from skeptics. "The facts are pretty good so far," said one top Republican. "As long as it's all true, and there's nothing more."
Be smart: One stage-managed day certainly won't sate congressional investigators or special counsel Bob Mueller. Prosecutors now have even more threads to pull as they pursue their investigation into the heart of the White House.
The big question: Why didn't Kushner make this case months ago? Many of the facts and recollections in his written statement could have helped defuse some of the drip-drip news coverage.
What you missed
- Trump weighs his next move: The president is pondering Rudy Giuliani as a replacement for Attorney General Jeff Sessions, although the former NYC mayor told CNN today he's not under consideration. Full story.
- Zuckerberg vs Elon Musk: The topic is AI, and the scene is Facebook Live. The quote.
- Trump's Twitter targets: Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), Jeff Sessions and Hillary Clinton, and the Senate Republicans debating health care reform.
- Flipboard flies under the radar: But it claims to have had positive cash flow earlier this year, after being founded in 2010. The interview.
- The Better Deal unveil: Highlights from Berryville, Virginia, where Democrats gathered. Their new agenda.