Situational awareness: At least 15 people are dead, 28 injured and two dozen are missing after the mudslides in southern California.
1 big thing: Trump's two statements to watch
The two things to know from President Trump's joint press conference this afternoon with Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg:
- Russia probe: Trump said "we'll see what happens" on a potential interview with Robert Mueller or the FBI, adding "when you have no collusion... it seems unlikely that you'd even have an interview."
- Immigration: Trump clarified his statements at yesterday's immigration meeting, saying “Any solution [regarding DACA] has to include the wall because without the wall it doesn’t work."
2. What you missed
- Rep. Darrell Issa will retire after this term. He is the 21st Republican to announce a House exit since Trump's election. His statement.
- Rich Hall has stepped down as head of private equity investing for Harvard University's $36 billion endowment. More.
- Dianne Feinstein is the latest target of Trump's tweets: "The fact that Sneaky Dianne Feinstein ... would release testimony in such an underhanded and possibly illegal way, totally without authorization, is a disgrace. Must have tough Primary!"
- China has suddenly appeared as the number three destination for international students seeking a foreign college or graduate school education. The trend.
- Warren Buffett said today that he has appointed Ajit Jain and Gregory Abel as vice chairs on the board of Berkshire Hathaway. Quotes.
- BONUS: Watch the latest from the Axios video team, starring tech editor Kim Hart and tech reporter David McCabe on the "techlash". YouTube.
3. 1 millennial thing
"Diet Coke is getting a makeover to try to invigorate the sugar-free soda's slumping sales," the AP's Joseph Pisani writes.
- "Coca-Cola said the new flavors and look — with a different color vertical stripe for each flavor and red for plain — are aimed at appealing to millennials. It spent two years on the makeover, and tested more than 30 flavors before settling on the four, which also include cherry and blood orange."