1 big thing: the Global Business Forum
Bloomberg Philanthropies drew more than 40 heads of state, 250 CEOs and 300 journalists to the classic Plaza hotel in New York for an inaugural Global Business Forum where the hot topics were automation, Trump, and the role of business amid global disruption.
With world leaders gridlocking New York for the U.N. General Assembly, former Mayor Michael Bloomberg launched an elite sideshow.
Quotes from Axios' Alayna Treene:
- Michael Bloomberg: "Too often governments and businesses don't talk to each other. This forum aims to fix that, and it's especially important when isolationism is rearing its head."
- Bill Clinton: "[U]nderneath all these debates that are going on today lingers one simple question... whether you believe social strength, economic reform and political reform flow from division or multiplication."
- Alibaba founder and CEO Jack Ma: "[I]n the past 30 years we made people like machines. In the next 30 years we'll make the machines like people."
- Apple CEO Tim Cook: DACA is "the biggest issue of our time because this goes to our values of being American..."
- Canadian PM Justin Trudeau: "So we've seen growth, but it hasn't necessarily reached everyone... we need to make a turn into a new progressive trade agenda."
Go deeper: The best quotes on 1 screen.
What you missed
- Big NYT story: Robert Mueller has sent the White House a request for documents pertaining to some of President Trump's most controversial moves in office. Why it matters.
- Canada's reverse brain-drain: Numerous startups in the tech hub of Toronto say they have had steady, double-digit increases in job applications from the United States since last year's presidential election. Details.
- Maria hits Puerto Rico: 100% of Puerto Rico is without power after Maria struck as a Category 4 storm this morning. Updates.
- The long game: Trump's approval ratings are ticking up. Numbers.
- The Fed starts selling: The Federal Reserve will begin selling off the government debt and mortgage bonds it amassed in the aftermath of the financial crisis. Quick story.
1 Trump quote
"Africa has tremendous business potential. I have so many friends going to your countries trying to get rich. I congratulate you. They're spending a lot of money." — Trump to African leaders today at the UN. Video.