Welcome to August
Situational awareness on this first Friday of August:
- The jobs numbers: 209k new jobs, 4.3% unemployment rate.
- "Pharma Bro" Martin Shkreli was convicted on three counts of securities fraud.
- A U.S. appeals court has tossed out a murder conviction and long sentences of four people involved in the 2007 Blackwater shootings in Iraq.
- At his much-anticipated news conference on leaks, Attorney General Jeff Sessions said the DOJ is accelerating leaks investigations, and floated the possibility of media subpoenas.
- President Trump's vacation is underway. He'll spend the next few weeks at his golf course in New Jersey.
What you missed
- Axios Sourced: Alexi McCammond on Trump's failure to talk tax reform with red-state Democrats. Watch it.
- How you get your food: GrubHub, which was already as big as Domino's on food delivery, made a $288 million purchase. From Yelp.
- GOP donor sues: Over the party's failure to repeal the Affordable Care Act, despite its promises. His case.
- Card deck: How Trump is rolling back Obama's environmental policies. Dive in.
- Toyota and Mazda team up: To build a $1.6 billion plant in the U.S. Details.
1 cool thing
A well-timed cold snap has let Harvard scientists capture rapid evolution in close to real time.