November 19, 2023
🐾 Today's issue is going to the dogs, because we can't get enough of the custom spaces we're seeing for pets these days.
Today's newsletter is 403 words — a 1.5-minute read.
1 big thing: 🚿 Pet-pampering home design
From pet spas to built-in feeding stations, some Denver pets live like royalty.
Why it matters: Pet owners are increasingly eager to cater their homes to pups, cats and other companion animals.
Driving the news: Searches for "pet bedroom" on Pinterest rose 132% from October 2022 to October 2023.
- There was also a spike in searches for other pet-friendly designs, including dog shower utility rooms and DIY cat patios, according to data the platform shared with Axios.
Zoom in: Homeowners are constantly evaluating their pets' needs when updating their homes, Denver interior designer Helly Swenson Duncan tells Axios.
- One of her current clients is considering building a dog wash station in their primary bathroom. They're also adding a dog bowl station to their kitchen island.
The latest: The global market for pet accessories is expected to reach $55.4 billion by 2030, according to a new report.
- Pet furniture is also expanding. Next year, pet product company Fable is launching a large version of its minimalist dog crate, which is made with wood (instead of plastic) and can double as a side table.
The big picture: A growing share of consumers view pets as family members, Jeremy Canade, Fable co-founder and CEO, tells Axios.
- Pet lovers "are looking for the same things they look for in their own products: quality, function and sustainability," Canade says.
2. 🐾 Who's being pet-fluenced
Nearly one in five recent homebuyers say they factored in proximity to parks and the vet when picking a neighborhood, according to a new report.
Zoom in: The share was highest among unmarried couples, per the report by the National Association of Realtors.
3. 🐕 Rent a yard for Fido
A custom pet spa might not be in the budget, but for $20 an hour, your pup can roam forest trails and zoom through an agility field.
Zoom out: Rental marketplace Sniffspot lists private dog parks in over 5,000 municipalities nationwide, founder David Adams tells Axios.
4. 🏠 Your success stories
If you recently bought a home, we want to hear how you navigated this wild market.
- Did you take advantage of a mortgage rate buydown?
- Score a deal on a house that sat on the market for weeks?
Email [email protected] or hit reply with your name and hometown. We might feature your insights in an upcoming newsletter.
🦴 Sami is saving Koda a seat at Thanksgiving.
🐶 Bri is ironing Roy's tux for holiday paw-ty season.
Thanks to our editor Ashley May and copy editor Bill Kole.