November 18, 2023
🐾 Today's issue is going to the dogs, because we can't get enough of the custom spaces we're seeing for pets these days.
Today's newsletter is 461 words — a 2-minute read.
1 big thing: 🚿 Pet-pampering home design
Washington home shoppers want their pets to live like royalty.
Why it matters: Pet owners are increasingly eager to cater their homes to pups, cats and other companion animals.
Driving the news: Searches for "pet bedroom" on Pinterest rose 132% from October 2022 to October 2023.
- There was also a surge in searches for other pet-friendly designs, including dog shower utility rooms and DIY cat patios, according to data the platform shared with Axios.
Zoom in: Pet features consistently rank among buyer wish lists, Washington real estate agent Brent Jackson tells Axios.
- This newly renovated Union Market rowhouse features a pet bowl station built into the island.
- And a McLean new build, listed at a cool $3.5 million, has a custom pet spa.
The latest: The global market for pet accessories is expected to reach $55.4 billion by 2030, according to a new report.
- Pet furniture is also expanding. Next year, pet product company Fable is launching a large version of its minimalist dog crate, which is made with wood (instead of plastic) and can double as a side table.
The big picture: A growing share of consumers view pets as family members, Jeremy Canade, Fable co-founder and CEO, tells Axios.
- Pet lovers "are looking for the same things they look for in their own products: quality, function and sustainability," Canade says.
2. 🐾 Who's being pet-fluenced
Nearly one in five recent homebuyers say they factored in proximity to parks and the vet when picking a neighborhood, according to a new report.
Zoom in: The share was highest among unmarried couples, per the report by the National Association of Realtors.
Go deeper: D.C.'s doggie-conomy is booming
3. 🐕 Rent a yard for Fido
A custom pet spa may not be in the budget, but for $15 an hour, your dog can run free in this two-acre private Rockville yard.
Zoom out: Rental marketplace Sniffspot lists private dog parks in over 5,000 municipalities nationwide, founder David Adams tells Axios.
4. 🏠 Your success stories
If you recently bought a home, we want to hear how you navigated this wild market.
- Did you take advantage of a mortgage rate buydown?
- Score a deal on a house that sat on the market for weeks?
Email [email protected] or hit reply with your name and hometown. We might feature your insights in an upcoming newsletter.
5. Give back
We're so thankful to our members for their support of Axios D.C. through their contributions to our newsroom.
If you join as a member, you'll get exclusive notes from the team, birthday shoutouts in the newsletter and other perks.
- Plus, you'll be part of our growth and ensure that our news is always free and accessible to the community.
We're grateful for your trust and continued readership.
🦴 Sami is saving Koda a seat at Thanksgiving.
🐶 Bri is ironing Roy's tux for holiday paw-ty season.
Thanks to our editor Ashley May and copy editor Bill Kole.