October 29, 2022
Hello, Saturday. It's Ashley.
🌥 Today's weather: High 66°. Low 50°.
🎂 Happy birthday to Axios Charlotte members Jennifer DeWitt and Jessi Harris.
🏀 Situational awareness: The Charlotte Hornets host the Golden State Warriors tonight at 7pm in their second home game of the season.
Today's Smart Brevity™ count is 566 words, a 2-minute read.
1 big thing: 🎃 Halloween weekend
Halloween weekend doesn't have to be scary. If a scream isn't your scene, there are plenty of other ways to celebrate.
🎃 Elizabeth's Great Pumpkin Wall, for instance, lights up at 6:30pm tomorrow.
🌽 We took the family to the Hall Family Farm in Lancaster, South Carolina, last weekend, and it was delightful.
- The 7-acre corn maze was challenging, but we finished it in under 90 minutes and solved the great train robbery — don't worry, it's not scary.
- My partner and I raced each other down the fruit chute, a massive slide, several times. He won every time.
🍎 Bonus: Homemade goods are one of the perks of a day on a farm. We ate apple bread for breakfast the next day.
👻 Yes, but: If you live for the spooky season, Axios' McKenzie Rankin has haunted places to check out in Charlotte.
🕺 And if you're looking to party, Axios' Laura Barrero has you covered.
👑 Plus Laura has Charlotte-themed costume ideas.
2. 🚲 Bike this way
Biketoberfest is back.
What's happening: Sustain Charlotte's 8th annual fundraiser returns tomorrow at noon to encourage folks to explore Charlotte by bike or on foot.
Why it matters: Charlotte leaders want to create a less car-reliant city, and learning how to bike around town can help accomplish that.
Details: Choose between a 4-mile loop highlighting South End and Uptown, or the 12-plus-mile loop taking you through South End, Sedgefield, Dilworth, Midtown, Uptown and Historic West End.
- Collect stamps in your passport at participating locations for a chance to win raffle prizes at the after-party at Triple C, which starts at 4:30pm.
By the numbers: More than 500 people will participate in Biketoberfest, and Sustain Charlotte raised $59,163.40 of their $65,000 goal as of Friday morning.
Busting myths about Charlotte’s real estate market
Fall is here, and the winds of change are blowing through the real estate market.
Here’s the deal: Buyers have more power, but we’re still in a seller’s market.
What you need to know: The Redbud Group identified (and busted) four common myths about the current trends.
3. ✈️ What Michael learned this week
👋 Axios' Southern bureau chief Michael Graff here, writing this from St. Simons Island in Georgia.
- I flew here from an Axios meeting in New York earlier this week, and as nice as it's been to get out, I can't wait to get home to North Carolina.
A few things that caught my eye about our great state this week:
🛼 Charlotte's getting a roller skating rink, Axios' Laura Barrero writes.
- Love to see it, and especially love to see that my pal Curtis Walls is helping to make it happen. Grand opening Nov. 5 at Camp North End.
⚽️ Charlotte FC has a "new" head coach, and Axios’ Ashley Mahoney got the scoop.
📖 The Nation went deep into an important story about how Black landowners in eastern North Carolina are reclaiming lost generational wealth.
🗳 Election things: Axios' Lucille Sherman spent time with the two candidates vying for Wake County's "soccer mom district," which may be the telltale district of this year's election. Some terrific quotes in this one.
- Also, Ted Cruz was here for Ted Budd; Dave Matthews was here for Cheri Beasley. And that's a sentence I never thought I'd write.
- 11 more days until the midterms. Axios has voter guides for Wake, Durham and Mecklenburg counties.
🥂🐖 Finally, a couple got married at the Lexington Barbecue Festival last weekend. Instead of cutting a wedding cake, they took bites of a barbecue sandwich.
- God bless this place.
4. 👻 Little Axions
Once upon a time, we were kids, dressed up and ready to trick or treat.
🍬 We asked readers which Charlotte neighborhood has the best Halloween treats, and it's Chantilly, according to Jake A.
💭 "Chantilly - best Halloween parade in the state!" -Jake A.
🍂 Enjoy your final weekend of October!
Today's newsletter was edited by Kayla Sharpe and copy edited by Sheryl Miller.