- Kia Kokalitcheva
- Feb 22
A list of what's wrong at Uber
Abrackin / Flickr cc
As Uber continues to reel from the explosive allegations of sexual harassment and discrimination a former employee published on Sunday, more details about the company's culture are emerging.
According to a report from the New York Times, citing anonymous sources, incidents at the company include:
- An Uber manager groped female co-workers' breasts at a company retreat in Las Vegas where other employees did cocaine in bathrooms at private parties (the manager was immediately let go).
- A director shouted a homophobic slur at a subordinate.
- A manager threatened to beat an employee's head in with a baseball bat.
- Uber faces at least three lawsuits in at least two countries from former employees alleging being sexually harassed or verbally abused by managers, according to documents obtained by the Times.
- As a response to complaints against high-performing managers, Uber would shuffle them around different regions, rarely firing them.
What's next: Kalanick has already put together a team to investigate the former employee's allegations and the company's overall work culture. He's also vowed to rectify the company's practices and culture.