Wong Maye-E / AP

North Korea put out a statement today alleging a joint plot by the CIA and South Korea's National Intelligence Service to assassinate Kim Jong-un — and it's pretty unbelievable. BBC has the full text, but here are the allegations:

  • The assassin: The CIA and South Korea recruited a North Korean lumberjack in Russia.
  • The method: "Biochemical substances including radioactive substance and nano poisonous substance."
  • The funding: At least $190,000, plus the required tech.

North Korea's threat: "If [the United States and South Korea] continue to make challenges in disregard of [North Korea]'s warning and common desire of humankind, they are bound to meet nothing but the most miserable end in history."

Consider: North Korea has provided no supporting evidence for its allegations, so they could be fabricated. Then again, it's worth remembering that the CIA has been known for absurd assassination attempts.

Go deeper

Pelosi: "States don't have the money" for Trump's unemployment order

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi claimed on "Fox News Sunday" that states don't have the funds to comply with the executive order President Trump signed on Friday, which requires them to cover 25% of an additional $400 in weekly unemployment benefits.

Why it matters: Many state and local governments have had their budgets devastated by the economic impacts of the coronavirus, which have caused expenses to soar and revenues to plunge.

Kudlow says he regrets claiming Trump couldn't use executive order for unemployment

White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow said on CNN's "State of the Union" Sunday that he regrets suggesting this week that unemployment benefits can only be extended by Congress.

Why it matters: President Trump's decision to bypass Congress to sign four executive actions, including one that provides $400 per week in extra unemployment benefits, has prompted outcry from Democrats and even some Republicans who believe he is overstepping his constitutional authority.

3 hours ago - World

Lebanon information minister resigns days after deadly explosion

Anti-government protesters in Beirut. Photo: STR/NurPhoto via Getty Images

Lebanon’s information minister resigned on Sunday in the wake of mass protests over the deadly blast in Beirut's port last week, which has killed at least 160 people and injured nearly 6,000, AP reports.

Why it matters: In her resignation letter, Manal Abdel-Samad called change "elusive" and apologized for not delivering more to the country, which had been devastated by a financial crisis and the coronavirus pandemic even before the blast destroyed much of the capital city.