Apr 1, 2019

First Amendment group asks court to release Mueller grand jury materials

Special counsel Robert Mueller. Photo: Alex Wong/Getty Images

The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press has submitted a Freedom of Information Act request asking D.C.'s district court to release grand jury materials "cited, quoted, or referenced" in the Mueller report.

Why it matters: Attorney General Bill Barr said on Friday that while he intends to release a version of the full Mueller report by mid-April, he will first redact "material subject to Federal Rule of Criminal Procedure (6e) that cannot be made public." The RCFP argues that "[g]iven the historical significance and overwhelming public interest" in the Mueller investigation, the public is entitled to see the full, unredacted report, and that the court should exercise its authority to release the grand jury material.

"The American people deserve to see and scrutinize the full contents of the report so they can evaluate for themselves the threats to our electoral system from Russian interference and make their own judgments about whether the president and his campaign coordinated with Russia or obstructed justice."

Go deeper: House Judiciary to vote to reauthorize subpoenas for release of report

Go deeper

Mass shooting in Milwaukee: What we know so far

Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett in 2012. Photo: John Gress/Corbis via Getty Images

Six people died in a shooting at the Milwaukee Molson Coors brewery complex on Wednesday, including the shooter, Mayor Tom Barrett told reporters at an evening press conference with local police.

What's happening: Police said "there is no active threat" just before 6 pm ET, but noted the scene remains active. Police chief Alfonso Morales told reporters that officers have "more than 20 buildings we have to secure" at the complex and they do not currently have all employees accounted for, as more than 1,000 were at the complex during the shooting.

Go deeperArrowUpdated 2 mins ago - Politics & Policy

Trump assigns Pence to lead U.S. coronavirus response

Photo: ANDREW CABALLERO-REYNOLDS/AFP via Getty Images

President Trump announced at a press briefing Wednesday evening that he'll be putting Vice President Mike Pence in charge of leading the administration's response to the coronavirus.

The big picture: In the wake of a market sell-off and warnings from health officials that there's a real threat of the coronavirus spreading in the U.S., Trump sought to reassure the nation and Wall Street that the U.S. is "ready" for whatever comes next.

Go deeperArrowUpdated 59 mins ago - Politics & Policy

Axios Dashboard

Keep up with breaking news throughout the day — sign up for our alerts.