Sen. Patrick Meehan, R-Pa., center, attends a campaign event. Photo: Tom Williams / CQ Roll Call

Rep. Patrick Meehan told the Philadelphia Inquirer on Tuesday that he was still running for re-election, despite news that he reached a settlement with an aide who accused him of sexual harassment.

Why it matters: The GOP congressman, who is on the Ethics committee, settled the claim with taxpayer dollars. Per the Inquirer, he thought of the aide as "a soul mate," and that he was "struggling to make sure that I would never put that into our professional relationship."

  • The former aide "accused him of turning hostile...after she rejected his romantic advances."
  • Per the Inquirer, Meehan said "he was advised by House lawyers that the settlement was a possibility and that he could legally use taxpayer funds."
  • Meehan had been investigating claims against other colleagues, as a member of the House Ethics Committee. He was removed on Monday by Speaker Paul Ryan, the Inquirer reports.

Go deeper

Updated 39 mins ago - Politics & Policy

Coronavirus dashboard

Illustration: Sarah Grillo/Axios

  1. Global: Total confirmed cases as of 9:30 p.m. ET: 33,867,247 — Total deaths: 1,012,341 — Total recoveries: 23,537,059Map.
  2. U.S.: Total confirmed cases as of 8 p.m. ET: 7,229,319 — Total deaths: 206,887 — Total recoveries: 2,840,688 — Total tests: 103,939,667Map.
  3. Education: School-aged children now make up 10% of all U.S COVID-19 cases.
  4. Health: The coronavirus' alarming impact on the body.
  5. Business: Real-time data show economy's rebound slowing but still going.
  6. Sports: Steelers-Titans NFL game delayed after coronavirus outbreak.
Ina Fried, author of Login
1 hour ago - Technology

Facebook removes Trump ads tying refugees to COVID-19

Photo Illustration: Aïda Amer/Axios. Photo: Saul Loeb/AFP via Getty Images

Facebook said Wednesday that it was removing a series of ads from President Trump's campaign that linked American acceptance of refugees with increased coronavirus risk, a connection Facebook says is without merit.

Why it matters: The ads were pulled after they received thousands of impressions and are a sign that the Trump campaign continues to test the limits of social media rules on false information.

Over 73 million people watched the first debate on TV

Data: Nielsen; Chart: Andrew Witherspoon/Axios

More than 73.1 million people watched the first presidential debate on television on Tuesday night, according to Nielsen ratings.

Why it matters: While that's a sizable audience for any American TV program, it's down more than 13% from the record number of TV viewers who tuned in for the first debate of the 2016 election. The chaotic nature of the debate and the overall uncertainty around this year's election may have pushed some viewers away.