Jul 8, 2021 - COVID
Minneapolis Fed: Employees must be vaccinated
A photo of Minneapolis Fed CEO Neel Kashkari speaking.
Neel Kashkari, president and CEO of the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. Photo: John Lamparski/Getty Images

The Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank will be requiring its 1,100-employee workforce to be vaccinated as a condition of employment, CEO Neel Kashkari wrote in a published essay.

State of play: Kashkari writes that 82% of employees at the Minneapolis Fed, one of the city's biggest employers, are fully vaccinated. The remaining 18% will need to do so by the end of August.

  • Accommodations will be made for those who cannot get vaccinated due to medical conditions or "sincerely held religious beliefs," he wrote.

What he's saying: Kashkari said the staff needs to work face-to-face after going remote last year.

  • Allowing unvaccinated people in the office, he said, could sicken people who can't get the vaccine or it could infect vaccinated employees who then take it home and give it to a family member.

Of note: The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission released guidance in late May saying that employers can require their workers to be vaccinated, subject to reasonable accommodations.

avatar

Get more local stories in your inbox with Axios Twin Cities.

More Twin Cities stories

No stories could be found

Twin Citiespostcard

Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Twin Cities.