These Minnesotans are headed to the Tokyo Olympics
A dozen athletes with Minnesota ties have qualified for the U.S. Olympic teams set to compete in Tokyo next month.
By the numbers: The official Team USA roster for the Tokyo Olympics lists nine athletes across eight sports as Minnesotans, but several additional qualifiers have connections to the state.
How it works: Qualifying, which began in 2019, is still an ongoing process and the roster won't be finalized until the first week of July.
- But, but, but: Qualifying does not guarantee a spot on Team USA. More details on the process for each sport here.
Who's on the list:
- Gopher alumnus Bowe Becker in swimming
- Shoreview's Kyra Condi in climbing
- Lakeville native Regan Smith in swimming
- Lynx players Sylvia Fowles and Napheesa Collier in women's basketball
- Minneapolis native Joe Klecker in track
- Rosemount's Payton Otterdahl in men's shotput
- Shoreview's Lara Dallman-Weiss, sailing
- Gopher wrestler Gable Stevenson in wrestling
- Farmington native Patrick Sunderman in rifle shooting
- St. Cloud native Alise Willoughby in BMX
- Edina native Jordan Thompson in volleyball
What's next: We'll be watching to find out if more Minnesotans clinch their spots by July.
- St. Paul gymnast Suni Lee competes in qualifying trials today through Sunday. She could be the first Hmong American to secure a spot on the national Olympics gymnastics team.
More Twin Cities stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Twin Cities.