A total of 612 athletes will represent the United States at the Olympics, and 51 are from Florida.
- The Sunshine State is second to California (126) for most athletes participating.
The opening ceremony is this morning and most events start tomorrow.
Tampa Bay competitors include (per the Tampa Bay Times):
- Fencer and Tampa native Race Imboden, who has also modeled on the runway for Louis Vuitton and Marc Jacobs
- Bradenton golfers Jessica and Nelly Korda
- Sarasota rower Clark Dean
- Sailors Paige Railey, a USF alum from Clearwater, and Lara Dallman-Weiss, who went to Eckerd College
- Sarasota rifle shooter Mary Tucker
- Swimmers Bobby Finke, from Clearwater, and Emma Weyant, from Sarasota
- Taekwondoin Anastasija Zolotic, from Largo
- Brandon tennis player Austin Krajicek
- Track & field runners Trayvon Bromell, from St. Petersburg, and Erriyon Knighton, from Tampa
More Tampa Bay stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Tampa Bay.