Subscribe to Axios NW Arkansas
Get smarter, faster with a daily look at the biggest stories in NW Arkansas
A higher rate of kids in NWA are vaccinated against COVID-19 than most of the state, but the vast majority remain unvaccinated.
Why it matters: Children can become very ill if they contract COVID-19, health experts, including state health secretary José Romero, have said. They've stressed the vaccine is the best defense against the virus.
Kudos to those of you who have made it this far into Dry January. Here are four favorite spots where you can have your pick of mocktails this month (or any month!).
1. Bordinos in Fayetteville
- Check out the spirit-free drink menu, which includes a lavender and rosemary martini, a cranberry mule and "taking names" with CBD, elderberry tonic, orange juice and soda water.
2. Theo's in Fayetteville
- This upscale restaurant’s bar offers two mocktails — the Tropic Thunder (orgeat, lemon, pineapple, habanero syrup) and the Elderberry Bramble (blackberries, lemon, simple syrup, elderberry tonic).
3. Night Owl Tavern in Bentonville
- For $5, you can tell the bartender your favorite flavors, and they'll mix up something nonalcoholic.
4. The Foreman in Rogers
- The menu boasts three classic mocktails — margarita, "gin" and tonic and negroni.
Steuart and Tom Walton are in hot water — water brimming with kayaks, that is.
Starting pay for Arkansas State Police is the third-lowest when compared to its neighboring states, an Axios analysis found.
What's happening: Director of the Arkansas State Police, Bill Bryant, wants to raise the annual starting salary for troopers by $10,000 or more, the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reports.
On the treadmill more these days? Here are a few Arkansas-specific podcasts NWA Axios readers might like:
👩🌾 "Relevant Risk" is a new podcast focused on agribusiness issues and is produced by the Fryar Price Risk Management Center of Excellence at the University of Arkansas.
Arkansas' COVID-19 hospitalizations continue to climb even as the number of new cases decreases.
By the numbers: The state reported 1,487 hospitalizations on Tuesday, a five-month high.
Cartwheel generates the spark of a product idea and lights the fuse.
- Then it hires a pilot to, hopefully, navigate the launch of a company around the idea.
Lenders denied 26% of Arkansas' Black mortgage applicants in 2020, the third-highest denial rate in the U.S., a recent report from Zillow shows.
Why it matters: The report provides more evidence that the pandemic is affecting Black Americans disproportionately, writes Axios' Hope King.