Mapping home price spikes in the Des Moines metro
Home prices in inner-city neighborhoods have seen the biggest increases in the DSM metro over the last five years, according to data from Zillow.
- But the data also shows DSM has made progress against the "donut effect," the hollowing of a city's center as people and business flee to outer areas.
- It's been an issue in our metro for decades, and it's in part why dozens of neighborhoods have formed official organizations to leverage powerful investment arms.
By the numbers: ZIP code 50314 — in the Riverbend and Sherman Hill neighborhoods — posted the biggest jump ($74,732 to $116,916), almost 60%.
- ZIP code 50316 — in the Martin Luther King Jr. and Capitol East neighborhoods — jumped $87,488 to $132,147. That's around 51%.
Between the lines: The city has targeted a string of improvements to neighborhoods with sluggish or declining property values, such as the Riverbend area.
- Take the Sixth Avenue revitalization. It's an ongoing multi-year plan transforming an area once littered with rundown properties into a growing business and residential district.
- There's also Riverview and Birdland parks, where big improvements are being made to nearby recreational areas.
What they're saying: The Riverbend area has been a recent hot spot for first-time home buyers or people with lower income because of its affordability and proximity to downtown, real estate agent and neighborhood president Chris Chiaramonte told Jason last week.
- The goal now is to keep the momentum going, said Mike Hildebrand, a River Bend neighborhood board member who has restored multiple homes.
Of note: These three zips have the most expensive average home values:
- 50061 (Cumming): $398,843.
- 50323 (Urbandale): $380,562.
- 50325 (Clive): $322,816.
Go deeper: There's an interactive version of the map above on our website, so you can see just how much things have changed in your own ZIP code.
More Des Moines stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Des Moines.