Countdown is on: 100 days until the Iowa State Fair
Today marks 100 days until the return of hot summer nights at the Iowa State Fair, which will run Aug. 12-22.
- Why it matters: Love it or hate it, the Iowa State Fair is a significant annual event both culturally and economically.
State of play: Gary Slater, Iowa State Fair CEO, said he's feeling increased confidence in the fair as more people get vaccinated.
- Face masks, attendance caps and any other COVID mitigation requirements are still up in the air until it's closer to August, Slater said.
What to expect: Security measures, including bag checks and the new Iowa State Fair Police force, will continue in 2021.
- Additional security like metal detectors have not been determined yet, Slater said.
What's new: The giant slide will move southeast of the varied industries building and north of the Walnut Center.
- The 4-H Exhibition building was also completely renovated.
- And after people voiced their disappointment about the fair cutting Avenue of Breeds, Slater said it will return in a new spot next to the 4-H building.
By the numbers: More than 1 million people attended the fair in 2019 and Slater said he hopes to see the same this year.
More Des Moines stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Des Moines.