Feb 11, 2021 - News
The Polk County officials set to make more than Iowa's governor
Polk County’s elected officials will get a 3% pay hike starting July 1, approved this week in a 3-2 vote by the Board of Supervisors.
Driving the news: The increases were recommended by a county compensation board, which compared total compensation with like-sized counties.
Making the most each year:
- County Attorney John Sarcone: $219,381
- Sheriff Kevin Schneider: $182,549
The others will best Gov. Kim Reynolds' $130,000 annual salary (set by the Legislature) by $214:
- Supervisors: Robert Brownell, Angela Connolly, Steve Van Oort, Tom Hockensmith, Matt McCoy
- Auditor: Jamie Fitzgerald
- Recorder: Julie Haggerty
- Treasurer: Currently vacant following the death last month of Mary Maloney.
Voting against their raises: Brownell and McCoy
This story first appeared in the Axios Des Moines newsletter, designed to help readers get smarter, faster on the most consequential news unfolding in their own backyard.
More Des Moines stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Des Moines.