A serendipitous rom-com plays out on Nextdoor
He posted a note on doors along Detroit Street behind East High School. In bold, all-caps it shouted: "ABBY!!"
It asked: "If you see this, come to Tacos, Tequila and Whiskey by York and Colfax @ 7pm. I'm looking forward to it."
The backstory: Thomas met Abby at the gym. They exchanged numbers and made plans for a date the evening of July 3.
- Then the 21st century failed Thomas. His cellphone broke. He couldn't text her. But he wanted her to know he was still game for the date.
- He remembered the street where Abby said she lived and put the urgent message everywhere he could.
Why we care: We all like a good love story.
The rom-com plot unfolded on social media site Nextdoor, where Hope Hinkson posted a picture of the flier and asked neighbors: "Abby anyone?"
- The post drew more than 600 interactions in four days. One comment: "Super sweet." Another: "Or really creepy."
What happened next: True to her name, Hope wanted to see whether the technology-crossed pair would get together.
- So she went to the restaurant and waited to see if Abby would show up.
She narrated live on NextDoor.
- When Abby and Thomas walked in, half the bar cheered.
- Hope posted a photo of the two with the caption "Happy ending!!!!"
The comments flowed:
- "MADE MY DAY HECK YEA!"
- "I am tearing up for them! 💜"
Our thought bubble: We would really love to talk to Thomas and Abby. If you know them, pass this along and tell them to reach out to us!
More Denver stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Denver.