Flights out of Logan are mostly on time
Eighty-two percent of domestic flights from Boston Logan International Airport departed on time in November 2022, per the latest Bureau of Transportation Statistics data.
- That's just 1 percentage point better than the national average of 81%.
The big picture: At the national level, airlines performed admirably throughout the fall of 2022, with on-time departure rates at or above 80% between September and November.
- It's an improvement from last summer, when nationwide staff shortages and foul weather combined to muck up the complex, interconnected web that is the air travel system, Axios' Alex Fitzpatrick writes.
Zoom in: Across the cities with Axios Local newsrooms, the Washington, D.C., area's Dulles International Airport had the best on-time performance in November 2022, at 88%.
- Denver — where brutal storms tend to snarl wintertime operations — had the lowest, at 76%.
Yes, but: This dataset doesn't include December's meltdown at Southwest Airlines, which led to thousands of cancellations and delays at that particular carrier nationwide.
- Expect those delays to show up in the next data release, where they'll almost assuredly drag down the systemwide numbers.
- "Let me be clear: We messed up," Southwest Airlines COO Andrew Watterson said during congressional testimony last week. "In hindsight, we did not have enough winter operational resilience."
Be smart: Because airlines' systems and routes are so interconnected, problems at one airport or in one region tend to cascade across the country.
- Foul weather in, say, Chicago can mean delays in Houston because planes get stuck and can't make their next planned leg.
- Here in Boston, winter weather can make Logan freeze to a standstill.
The bottom line: Generally speaking, on-time performance tends to dip in the summer (thanks to thunderstorms and the vacation rush) and winter (due to blizzards and holiday crowds), and improve in the spring and fall.
- It just goes to show you: Shoulder season is always the best.
Editor's note: This story has been updated to remove a reference to the number of cities with Axios Local newsrooms.
More Boston stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Boston.