North and South Korea agree to hold talks on reducing military threat

The head of the North Korean delegation Ri Son-Gwon crosses a border line to attend a meeting at Panmunjom in the Demilitarized Zone in South Korea. Photo: Korea Pool / Getty Images

North and South Korea agreed Tuesday to hold military talks and restore a military hotline to defuse the growing tension in the region, according to a joint statement released after their first "formal dialogue" in two years, per the South China Morning Post.

"We expressed the need to promptly resume dialogue for peace settlement, including denuclearization, and based on the mutual respect (the two Koreas) cooperate and stop activities that would raise tensions on the Korean Peninsula."
— South Korea Vice-Unification Minister Chun Hae-sung.

Earlier: North Korea will send a delegation to next month's winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea.

What's next

⚖️ Live updates: Democrats' second day of opening arguments

"He could release the aid or break the law. He chose to break the law," House impeachment manager Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.) said at day 3 of Trump's Senate impeachment trial.

The big picture: Democrats have roughly 8 hours remaining over the next two days to lay out their case against Trump's alleged abuse of power and obstruction of Congress.

Go deeperArrowJan 21, 2020 - Politics

Putin foe Bill Browder was warned of potential danger in Davos

Photo: Julia Reinhart/Getty Images

No story caused a bigger stir in Davos this week than the news that two suspected Russian spies had been caught in August posing as plumbers in the Alpine town.

Between the lines: One prominent attendee instantly suspected a personal connection. Bill Browder, a U.S.-born financier and long-standing thorn in the side of Vladimir Putin, tells Axios that before departing for Davos he received a warning from the British security services — passed along by their Swiss counterparts — that he could be in danger.

Go deeperArrow5 hours ago - World

Chinese cities cancel Lunar New Year events amid Wuhan coronavirus outbreak

People in Guangzhou, China, wearing masks on public transportation. Photo: Stringer/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images

25 people have died from an outbreak of a new coronavirus strain that originated in Wuhan, China, including the first outside the immediate area, provincial authorities said Thursday.

The latest: Major cities in China, including Beijing, have canceled large public gatherings for the Lunar New Year holiday, the most important in the country, to help contain the outbreak, according to the Washington Post.

Go deeperArrowJan 20, 2020 - World