Women of color helped Doug Jones to victory
Doug Jones and his wife. Photo: John Bazemore / AP
One savvy Axios colleague didn't believe the polls out of Alabama (final Real Clear Politics average: Moore +2.2). Her reasoning: "Women don't want their husbands to know that they're voting for Jones."
- She was right. Jones won women by 16 points, per WashPost. That's despite the fact that Moore won white women by 29 points. Final tally: Doug Jones (D) 49.9% ... Roy Moore (R) 48.4% ... Write-ins: 1.7%.
Key election poll results, via WashPost:
- Jones won African Americans by 92 points.
- Jones won independents or "something else" by 8 points.
- Moore won white people with no college degree by 55 points.
- Moore won voters who approve of Trump by 80 points.