Israeli soldiers throwing tear gas grenades across the border with Gaza as Palestinians gathered for demonstrations. Photo: Jack Guez / AFP / Getty Images

The Israeli government has rejected calls from the European Union and United Nations for an investigation into the this weekend's violence along Gaza’s border with Israel, the AP reports. The U.N. said the Palestinian Health Ministry confirmed that the deadly standoff killed 15 Palestinians and injured over 1,000. The clash came during a mass demonstration with thousands of Palestinians gathering along the border for a what was supposed to be a peaceful protest against Israel’s decade-old blockade of the territory.

The details: Israeli Defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman reportedly said the country will not cooperate with any inquiry, adding that Israeli troops acted appropriately and fired only when there was a threat. However, the AP reported that video from the scene showed cases where people were shot far from the border — and while they were not participating in the protests.

Go deeper

Bryan Walsh, author of Future
1 hour ago - Health

Rockefeller Foundation commits $1 billion for COVID-19 recovery

A health worker performs a COVID-19 test in New Delhi. Photo: Raj K Raj/Hindustan Times via Getty Images

The Rockefeller Foundation announced on Monday that it will allocate $1 billion over the next three years to address the pandemic and its aftermath.

Why it matters: The mishandled pandemic and the effects of climate change threaten to reverse global progress and push more than 100 million people into poverty around the world. Governments and big NGOs need to ensure that the COVID-19 recovery reaches everyone who needs it.

Updated 2 hours ago - Politics & Policy

Coronavirus dashboard

Illustration: Sarah Grillo/Axios

  1. Politics: Ex-FDA chief: Pence campaigning after COVID exposure puts others at risk — Mark Meadows: "We are not going to control the pandemic"
  2. Health: 13 states set single-day coronavirus case records last week — U.S. reports over 80,000 new cases for second consecutive day.
  3. World: Italy tightens restrictions Spain declares new state of emergency.
  4. Media: Fox News president and several hosts advised to quarantine after possible COVID-19 exposure

Fox News president and several hosts advised to quarantine in COVID-19 precaution

A political display is posted on the outside of the Fox News headquarters on 6th Avenue in New York City in July. Photo: Timothy A. Clary/AFP via Getty Images

Fox News President Jay Wallace and anchors Bret Baier and Martha MacCallum are among those recommended to get tested and quarantine after possible exposure to COVID-19, the New York Times first reported Sunday night.

The big picture: The Fox News contingent, which also included "The Five" show hosts Juan Williams and Dana Perino, were on a charter flight from Nashville to New York following Thursday's presidential debate with a person who later tested positive for the coronavirus.