The Weather Channel is calling Hurricane Irma a nightmare scenario for Florida:
- "Irma will make a direct hit on South Florida beginning Sunday morning as at least a Category 4 hurricane."
- "A potentially devastating storm surge will swamp parts of southwest Florida Sunday."
- "Destructive winds will then race up the Florida Peninsula."
- "Irma's center is increasingly expected to track up the Florida west coast Sunday into Monday, then into Georgia Monday night into Tuesday.
- "Significant inland wind damage and rainfall flooding could occur in parts of central and north Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas."
Miami Herald: Rain has "already begun pouring into Miami-Dade County, and thousands are without power. Gov. Rick Scott told those in evacuation zones to leave immediately."