Jan 25, 2018

The White House talking points on their immigration plan

White House adviser Stephen Miller in the briefing room. Photo: Chip Somodevilla / Getty Images

The White House's immigration plan will offer a path to citizenship for 1.8 million immigrants living in the country illegally, according to details shared by administration officials on a call for allies that Axios listened to. The administration proposal will be shared with Congress today, the officials said.

The big picture: The plan is "a compromised position" that includes "some extremely generous provisions that should make Democratic support to get to 60 votes a given," White House adviser Stephen Miller said on the call.

By the numbers: That includes establishing a path to citizenship for 1.8 million younger immigrants with work or education history and "good moral character." That number, substantially larger than the 800,000 DACA recipients, includes individuals who did not apply for DACA but met its requirements. "That is a very dramatic concession from the White House that should ensure 60 votes for the framework," Miller said.

The concession on DACA comes with the ability to terminate the status of individuals seen as a threat to national security based on criminal history, Miller said.

The White House's plan also includes...

  • An end to the visa lottery program and chain migration.
  • A "$25 billion dollar trust fund for the wall system."
  • "Historic investment in northern border security."
  • "An appropriation for filling personnel deficiencies" in border patrol and at the Department of Homeland Security.
  • "Same treatment of illegal aliens, regardless of country of origin."
  • "Closing loopholes in the system that make it almost impossible to deport illegal immigrants," such as the court backlog or the "catch and release" policy through which immigrants are released while awaiting a hearing.

Several sources provided Axios with the dial-in-number for the call in which Miller laid out the plan’s details.

Go deeper

Axios Dashboard

Keep up with breaking news throughout the day — sign up for our alerts.

Energy deputy secretary nominee in hot water after contradicting Trump

Mark Menezes speaks at a forum in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, June 12. Photo: Minasse Wondimu Hailu/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images

Trump administration officials are internally raising concerns about President Trump’s nominee for Energy deputy secretary, who appeared to openly contradict the president on nuclear waste storage at Nevada’s Yucca Mountain last week.

Driving the news: While speaking at a House Energy and Commerce subcommittee hearing last Wednesday, Mark Menezes told members of the panel that the Trump administration is still interested in storing nuclear waste at Yucca Mountain and that “what we're trying to do is to put together a process that will give us a path to permanent storage at Yucca."

Exclusive: Pompeo says new China media restrictions "long overdue"

Photo: Mark Wilson/Getty Images

The State Department announced Tuesday that it has designated five Chinese state media outlets as "foreign missions," meaning that they will be treated as arms of the Chinese government.

Driving the news: In his first public statement on the new designation, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo tells Axios that the five outlets are "clearly controlled by the [Chinese Communist Party], and we are simply recognizing that fact by taking this action.”

Go deeperArrow1 hour ago - World