Apr 7, 2017

How Breitbart covered Bannon's WH drama

Steve Bannon's old, right-wing news company, Breitbart, defended their former CEO when covering his exit from the National Security Council by blaming the media for blowing the story out of proportion.

1. "Steve Bannon Leaves National Security Council After Susan Rice Takedown." The first piece featured Bannon's quotes on his mission being "complete," referring to dealing with Michael Flynn and Susan Rice.

2. "Left Revels in Media Narrative on Bannon and NSC: 'Huge Victory for the Resistance.'" The second piece shifted to blaming left-wing media for blowing the story out of proportion.

The lede: "As soon as the media learned Steve Bannon, one of President Donald Trump's senior advisers, would no longer have a "permanent seat" on the National Security Council, the headlines shouted he'd been 'removed,' 'booted,' and 'demoted.' In fact, Bannon remains a close adviser to Trump, with top security clearance and an open invitation to attend NSC meetings."

What to watch: There have already been 4 negative Breitbart reports about Jared Kushner in the past two days, so expect there to be more โ€” especially if Bannon leaves the administration, as Mike Allen was told is a real possibility.

Go deeper

Sanders requests recount of Iowa recanvass after results show shrunken margin

Photo: Joe Raedle/Getty Images.

Sen. Bernie Sanders said in a statement Tuesday night he will request a recount of the Iowa Democratic Party's recanvass results.

Where it stands: Both Buttigieg and Sanders requested partial recanvasses in Iowa last week after results were delayed and showed several errors following a software malfunction on caucus night.

Axios Dashboard

Keep up with breaking news throughout the day โ€” sign up for our alerts.

Energy deputy secretary nominee faces heat after contradicting Trump

Mark Menezes speaks at a forum in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, June 12. Photo: Minasse Wondimu Hailu/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images

Trump administration officials are internally raising concerns about President Trumpโ€™s nominee for Energy deputy secretary, who appeared to openly contradict the president on nuclear waste storage at Nevadaโ€™s Yucca Mountain last week.

Driving the news: While speaking at a House Energy and Commerce subcommittee hearing last Wednesday, Mark Menezes told members of the panel that the Trump administration is still interested in storing nuclear waste at Yucca Mountain and that โ€œwhat we're trying to do is to put together a process that will give us a path to permanent storage at Yucca."