You may have heard that a Texas Republican lawmaker reportedly threatened to kill a fellow lawmaker over the long weekend.
To set the record straight, here is how it all went down:
- In the gallery of the House Chamber on Monday, demonstrators chanted in opposition to a law that bans sanctuary cities.
- Republican Rep. Matt Rinaldi turned to fellow lawmakers and said he reported the demonstrators to ICE. Democratic Rep. César J. Blanco said Rinaldi remarked, "We are going to have them deported."
- Then lawmakers started pushing and pointing at each other, some of them needed restraining.
- Rinaldi got into an argument with Democratic Representative Poncho Nevárez and threatened to shoot him, according to Democratic Rep. Justin Rodriguez.
- Rinaldi claims Nevárez threatened to go after him first, and only then did he say he would shoot Nevárez in self-defense.