May 1, 2017

Highlights from Spicer's Monday briefing

Lazaro Gamio / Axios

Spicer said the Republican health care bill will "hopefully" pass the House this week, and contended that the government spending agreement reached Sunday night was a win for Trump despite the lack of funding for the border wall. Other highlights:

  • Invitation to Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte despite his human rights record: Right now "North Korea is our top priority" said Spicer. Added that Trump is "well aware" of his controversial history.
  • Potential meeting with Kim Jong-Un: The administration would have to see North Korea's provocative behavior "ratcheted down immediately" for a meeting, said Spicer. "Clearly conditions are not there right now... but if the circumstances present themselves, we will be prepared to."
  • Does Trump have a thing totalitarian leaders? "Unfortunately, those are the neighbors in the region" who can help contain North Korea, said Spicer, before avoiding follow-ups about Trump's comments about Erdogan, Putin and Sadaam Hussein.
  • Changes on banking policy and the gas tax: "He has an open mind," said Spicer. "There was no endorsement of it or support for it, he was just relaying what another group said to him out of respect."
  • Disconnect over Trump's wiretapping claims: Trump this AM: "I don't stand by anything." Spicer this PM: "He clearly stands by that."
  • On reports that controversial terrorism adviser Sebastian Gorka is leaving the WH: "I have no belief that he is currently leaving the WH at this time."

Go deeper

Sanders requests recount of Iowa recanvass after results show shrunken margin

Photo: Joe Raedle/Getty Images.

Sen. Bernie Sanders said in a statement Tuesday night he will request a recount of the Iowa Democratic Party's recanvass results.

Where it stands: Both Buttigieg and Sanders requested partial recanvasses in Iowa last week after results were delayed and showed several errors following a software malfunction on caucus night.

Axios Dashboard

Keep up with breaking news throughout the day — sign up for our alerts.

Energy deputy secretary nominee faces heat after contradicting Trump

Mark Menezes speaks at a forum in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, June 12. Photo: Minasse Wondimu Hailu/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images

Trump administration officials are internally raising concerns about President Trump’s nominee for Energy deputy secretary, who appeared to openly contradict the president on nuclear waste storage at Nevada’s Yucca Mountain last week.

Driving the news: While speaking at a House Energy and Commerce subcommittee hearing last Wednesday, Mark Menezes told members of the panel that the Trump administration is still interested in storing nuclear waste at Yucca Mountain and that “what we're trying to do is to put together a process that will give us a path to permanent storage at Yucca."