Jan 31, 2017

Google's Eric Schmidt: Trump admin will do "evil things"

JD Lasica / Flickr cc

Eric Schmidt, executive chairman of Google's parent company Alphabet, warned employees of the dark times to come under Trump's White House, per Buzzfeed.

[The Trump's administration is] going to do these evil things as they've done in the immigration area and perhaps some others —Eric Schmidt, Executive Chairman of Alphabet

The statement came the day before Trump signed an executive order banning refugees from traveling to the U.S. Schmidt also emphasized that "the tone of this government" is very much focused on economic growth.

Why this matters: Buzzfeed points out how Schmidt's strong stance against Trump's immigration policy is "noteworthy" since the Google exec met with Trump and his advisers at least twice before the president's inauguration. Schmidt had clout with Obama's administration — and was expected to have similar influence if Hillary Clinton was elected — but he never made it into Trump's inner circlce.

Note: Google's top execs have also shown intense opposition to the ban. Co-founder Sergey Brin joined a protest in San Francisco, saying "I'm here because I'm a refugee," and the company created a $4 million fund that will donate money to organizations like the ACLU. And remember Google's motto: "Don't be evil."

Go deeper

Sanders requests recount of Iowa recanvass after results show shrunken margin

Photo: Joe Raedle/Getty Images.

Sen. Bernie Sanders said in a statement Tuesday night he will request a recount of the Iowa Democratic Party's recanvass results.

Where it stands: Both Buttigieg and Sanders requested partial recanvasses in Iowa last week after results were delayed and showed several errors following a software malfunction on caucus night.

Axios Dashboard

Keep up with breaking news throughout the day — sign up for our alerts.

Energy deputy secretary nominee faces heat after contradicting Trump

Mark Menezes speaks at a forum in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, June 12. Photo: Minasse Wondimu Hailu/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images

Trump administration officials are internally raising concerns about President Trump’s nominee for Energy deputy secretary, who appeared to openly contradict the president on nuclear waste storage at Nevada’s Yucca Mountain last week.

Driving the news: While speaking at a House Energy and Commerce subcommittee hearing last Wednesday, Mark Menezes told members of the panel that the Trump administration is still interested in storing nuclear waste at Yucca Mountain and that “what we're trying to do is to put together a process that will give us a path to permanent storage at Yucca."