SaveSave story

Ford's North America president exits amid allegations of misconduct

Raj Nair
Raj Nair at the North American International Auto Show in 2016. Photo: JIM WATSON/AFP/Getty Images

Ford announced Wednesday that its North America president, Raj Nair, is leaving the company, effective immediately. The announcement comes after an internal investigation found that Nair's behavior was "inconsistent" with the company's code of conduct. Ford did not include further details of the investigation's findings.

Nair, who has been president since June 1, 2017, said in a statement: “I sincerely regret that there have been instances where I have not exhibited leadership behaviors consistent with the principles that the Company and I have always espoused. I continue to have the utmost faith in the people of Ford Motor Company and wish them continued success in the future.”

Dave Lawler 6 hours ago
SaveSave story

What Trump and Putin did and didn't discuss

President Trump spoke with Vladimir Putin this afternoon, and congratulated him on winning re-election on Sunday. After the call, Press Secretary Sarah Sanders was asked whether Trump felt the election had been free and fair, and said it wasn’t up to the U.S. to “dictate" how Russia holds elections.

The bottom line: Trump is not alone in congratulating Putin — leaders in France, Germany and elsewhere have done so this week, as Barack Obama did in 2012. But past administrations certainly have seen it as America’s role to call balls and strikes when it comes to elections abroad, and weigh in when democratic institutions are being undermined. A departure from that approach would be welcomed not only by Putin, but other leaders of pseudo democracies around the world.

Stef W. Kight 3 hours ago
SaveSave story

USCIS suspends fast processing for some H-1B visas

Man with glasses holds up left hand in front of a white house sign
Director Francis Cissna of the US Citizenship and Immigration Services. Photo: Mark Wilson / Getty

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services announced Tuesday that, likely through September 10, it is suspending a program that allows U.S. employers to pay an extra fee to have their H-1B visa petitions processed within 15 days. The suspension applies to U.S. employers seeking new H-1B visas, including for workers with a master’s degree or higher.

Why it matters: USCIS says it is choosing to suspend premium processing to speed up overall processing. While this move forces some U.S. companies to wait longer to get needed foreign talent and adds some uncertainty to their planning, this year's suspension only applies to new cases that are not exempt from the the H-1B cap. Last year, USCIS suspended premium processing for all H-1B petitions.