Go deeper: Trump's Twitter outbursts at Sessions
Jeff Sessions listens to President Trump. Photo: Spencer Platt/Getty Images
President Trump went after Attorney General Jeff Sessions again on Wednesday, saying he wishes he had picked someone else to head the Department of Justice because of Jeff Sessions' recusal from the Russia probe.
Why it matters: This is not the first time Trump has expressed frustration over Sessions' recusal, and it isn't even the first time he's said he regrets appointing him because of it. But it does follow a string of other grievances the president has with his own attorney general.
Why Trump has been ticked at Sessions:
- For asking Inspector General Michael Horowitz to investigate allegations that the FBI and DOJ abused their surveillance power: "Isn't the I.G.A an Obama guy? Why not use Justice Department lawyers? DISGRACEFUL!"
- For not looking into Hillary Clinton: "So why aren't the Committees and investigators, and of course our beleaguered A.G., looking into Crooked Hilarys crimes and Russia relations?"
- For being "weak" on Clinton's emails: "Attorney General Jeff sessions has taken a VERY weak position on Hillary Clinton crimes (where are E-mails and DNC server) & Intel leakers!"
- For not investigating President Obama's administration: "If all of the Russian meddling took place during the Obama Administration...why aren’t they the subject of the investigation? Why didn’t Obama do something about the meddling? Why aren’t Dem crimes under investigation? Ask Jeff Sessions!"
- For not replacing Andrew McCabe: "Why didn't A.G. Sessions replace Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe, a Comey friend who was in charge of Clinton investigation..."