Rep. John Conyers. Photo: Carolyn Kaster / AP

Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.) will announce Tuesday he will not seek re-election, according to his brother's grandson, Ian Conyers, a Michigan state senator, per the NYT. The younger Conyers plans to run for the open seat.

Why it matters: Ian Conyers' explanation for the retirement doesn't mention the sexual harassment allegations about the representative: "His doctor advised him that the rigor of another campaign would be too much for him just in terms of his health." Conyers was publicly accused of sexual harassment by another former staffer late yesterday, per the Detroit Free Press. The affidavit from Elisa Grubbs, who says she worked for Conyers for about 12 years, brings the number of Conyer accusers to at least seven.

Go deeper

Updated 29 mins ago - Politics & Policy

Coronavirus dashboard

Illustration: Annelise Capossela/Axios

  1. Politics: Trump says if Biden's elected, "he'll listen to the scientists"Trump calls Fauci a "disaster" on campaign call.
  2. Health: Coronavirus hospitalizations are on the rise — 8 states set single-day coronavirus case records last week.
  3. States: Wisconsin judge reimposes capacity limit on indoor venues.
  4. Media: Trump attacks CNN as "dumb b*stards" for continuing to cover pandemic.
  5. Business: Consumer confidence surveys show Americans are getting nervousHow China's economy bounced back from coronavirus.
  6. Sports: We've entered the era of limited fan attendance.
  7. Education: Why education technology can’t save remote learning.
2 hours ago - Health

Trump attacks CNN as "dumb b*stards" for continuing to cover pandemic

President Trump attacked CNN for continuing to cover the coronavirus pandemic, calling the network "dumb b*stards" at a campaign rally in Prescott, Arizona on Monday.

Why it matters: The president's attacks on the media and Anthony Fauci, the government's top infectious-disease expert, come as coronavirus cases and hospitalizations are again surging across the country, just two weeks out from Election Day.

3 hours ago - World

Deal to remove Sudan as terror sponsor paves way for Israel move

President Trump announced Monday that he will be removing Sudan from the State Department’s state sponsors of terrorism list after the Sudanese government agreed to pay $335 million in compensation for families of American victims of terrorism.

The big picture: Trump's announcement is part of a wider agreement that is expected to include moves from Sudan toward normalizing relations with Israel.