Colorado breweries claimed 21 medals in the much-hyped Great American Beer Festival competition, far fewer than normal.
By the numbers: The awards, announced Friday at the Craft Brewers Conference, included seven gold medals for best-in-category brews.
- Colorado swept the American Fruit Beer category with three winners.
- For the ninth year in a row, Cannonball Creek Brewing in Golden won a gold medal.
- Our Mutual Friend in Denver was the only brewery to take home two, a gold for Australian Pale Ale and silver for Mixed-Culture Brett Beer.
- Peak View Brewing in Greenwood Village won its first medal, a silver for a Blood Orange Wheat in the Fruit Wheat Beer category.
Yes, but: A number of big-name Colorado breweries that are used to winning didn't have their names called.
- It's the first time since 2000 that Colorado failed to finish in the top two states for total medals, according to the Denver Business Journal.
- And it's the lowest total for the state in 17 years.
Colorado breweries that won GABF medals in 2021:
Gold: BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse – Boulder, Barrel Aged Got Beer, Wood- and Barrel-Aged Strong Beer
Gold: Bootstrap Brewing, Stick's Pale Ale, American-Style Pale Ale
Gold: Cannonball Creek Brewing, Vladimir Brutin, Experimental India Pale Ale
Gold: Cerebral Brewing, Humo y Espejos with Fuego!, Chili Beer
Gold: Crystal Springs Brewing, Blood Orange Kölsch, American Fruit Beer category
Gold: Our Mutual Friend Brewing, Inner Light, Australian Pale Ale
Gold: Ratio Beerworks, Domestica, Golden or Blonde Ale
Silver: Avery Brewing, Stampede, American-Style Lager
Silver: Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project, Stay the Funk In, Belgian-Style Sour Ale
Silver: Great Divide Brewing, Wild Raspberry Ale, American Fruit Beer
Silver: Our Mutual Friend Brewing, Biere Ovale, Mixed-Culture Brett Beer
Silver: Peak View Brewing, Blood Orange Wheat, Fruit Wheat Beer
Silver: SKA Brewing, True Blonde Ale, English Ale
Silver: Steamworks Brewing, Prescribed Burn, Chili Beer
Silver: Strange Craft Beer, Silverbrick Norwegian Farmhouse, Historical Beer
Bronze: 12Degree Brewing, Treachery, Belgian-Style Strong Specialty Ale
Bronze: Amalgam Brewing, Skins, Experimental Beer
Bronze: Grimm Brothers Brewhouse, Snow Drop, Historical Beer
Bronze: Holidaily Brewing, Big Henry Hazy IPA, Gluten-Free Beer
Bronze: Lone Tree Brewing, Lone Tree Peach Pale Ale, American Fruit Beer
Bronze: Telluride Brewing, Face Down Brown, American-Style Brown Ale
More Denver stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Denver.