Photo:Andrew Caballero-Reynolds/AFP via Getty Images

The more than 1,000 victims of child sexual abuse by Pennsylvanian Catholic priests are unlikely to see justice carried out on their oppressors, as the revelations from a grand jury's damning report have likely surfaced too late for any legal repercussions.

The bottom line: For abuse cases in Pennsylvania, a child victim has until they are 30-years-old to sue or until 50-years-old to file criminal charges, according to the New York Times. A majority of the allegations in the report occurred decades ago and only 2 priests are facing criminal charges at this point.

The grand jury recommended that the statute of limitation laws be changed and waived for two years for victims of the priests.

"No piece of legislation can predict the point at which a victim of child sex abuse will find the strength to come forward."
— Pennsylvania Grand Jury

What to watch: There is currently a bill before the Pennsylvania House of Representatives that would raise the age to 50 for victims to sue their abuser, and eliminate the time limit for criminal prosecution in sexual abuse cases entirely. The Republican House Majority Leader has said that he expects to schedule a vote on the bill this fall, according to CNN.

The other side: The church has lobbied against these efforts, according to the Times. The Pennsylvania Catholic Conference, which is the public affairs agency of Pennsylvania’s Catholic bishops and dioceses, has argued the legislation would "lead to the closure of parishes, schools, and ministries of today’s Catholics, who are in no way responsible for abuse that occurred decades ago."

The big picture: Only Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia and Wyoming have completely eliminated statutes of limitations for felony sex crimes.

Go deeper

Updated 34 mins ago - Politics & Policy

Coronavirus dashboard

Illustration: Annelise Capossela/Axios

  1. Politics: Trump says if Biden's elected, "he'll listen to the scientists"Trump calls Fauci a "disaster" on campaign call.
  2. Health: Coronavirus hospitalizations are on the rise — 8 states set single-day coronavirus case records last week.
  3. States: Wisconsin judge reimposes capacity limit on indoor venues.
  4. Media: Trump attacks CNN as "dumb b*stards" for continuing to cover pandemic.
  5. Business: Consumer confidence surveys show Americans are getting nervousHow China's economy bounced back from coronavirus.
  6. Sports: We've entered the era of limited fan attendance.
  7. Education: Why education technology can’t save remote learning.
2 hours ago - Health

Trump attacks CNN as "dumb b*stards" for continuing to cover pandemic

President Trump attacked CNN for continuing to cover the coronavirus pandemic, calling the network "dumb b*stards" at a campaign rally in Prescott, Arizona on Monday.

Why it matters: The president's attacks on the media and Anthony Fauci, the government's top infectious-disease expert, come as coronavirus cases and hospitalizations are again surging across the country, just two weeks out from Election Day.

3 hours ago - World

Deal to remove Sudan as terror sponsor paves way for Israel move

President Trump announced Monday that he will be removing Sudan from the State Department’s state sponsors of terrorism list after the Sudanese government agreed to pay $335 million in compensation for families of American victims of terrorism.

The big picture: Trump's announcement is part of a wider agreement that is expected to include moves from Sudan toward normalizing relations with Israel.