Updated Apr 9, 2019

Carlos Ghosn says he's the innocent victim of a Nissan conspiracy

Former Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn. Photo: ERIC PIERMONT/AFP/Getty Images

Former Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn said in a video broadcast by his lawyers Tuesday he's the victim of a conspiracy by some executives at the Japanese automaker.

What he's saying: "This is about a plot, this is about conspiracy, this is about backstabbing β€” that's what we are talking about," Ghosn says in the pre-recorded video. "It happened because there was first a fear that the next step of the alliance... would in a certain way threaten some people or eventually threaten the autonomy of Nissan."

Details: His lawyer said at a press conference that broadcast the video the legal team had redacted parts of the footage in which he names Nissan executives he says were involved in the conspiracy.

The big picture: Ghosn was the architect of the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance β€” the largest carmaker in the world before his first arrest in November for alleged financial misconduct. He posted bail in Tokyo last month but was arrested again last week on suspicion of aggravated breach of trust. He maintains he's innocent of all charges. Nissan shareholders voted Monday to remove from him from the board.

Go deeper

Axios Dashboard

Keep up with breaking news throughout the day β€” sign up for our alerts.

What to watch in tonight's Democratic debate

Bernie Sanders at a campaign rally in Colorado. Photo: Helen H. Richardson/MediaNews Group/The Denver Post via Getty Images

Bernie Sanders is now the clear front-runner for the Democratic presidential nomination, and his opponents are ready to try to knock him down at tonight's debate in Charleston, South Carolina β€” especially Michael Bloomberg, who was the punching bag at the Las Vegas debate.

Why it matters: This is the last debate before Super Tuesday, when Sanders is expected to win California and Texas and could secure an insurmountable lead for the Democratic nomination. That's a direct threat to the entire field, but especially to Bloomberg, who skipped the early states to focus on the March 3 contests.

Bob Iger to step down as CEO of Disney

Photo: Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic

The Walt Disney Company said Tuesday that it had named longtime Disney executive Bob Chapek as CEO Bob Iger's successor, effectively immediately. Iger will remain executive chairman of the company through 2021.

Why it matters: Iger is credited with having successfully turned around Disney’s animation and studio businesses and with the strategic acquisition of Marvel, Pixar, Lucasfilm and 21st Century Fox. Most recently, he was the person behind Disney's successful launch of its Netflix rival Disney+.

Go deeperArrowUpdated 2 hours ago - Economy & Business