The Boston Globe's front page at the Newseum. Photo: Eric Baradat/AFP via Getty Images

The Boston Globe launched a campaign with hundreds of U.S. newspapers Wednesday evening criticizing President Trump for calling the American press an "enemy of the people."

The big picture: Though many organizations are participating in the campaign, several others have been critical of the effort. They argue that the president, like other United States citizens, has the right to his opinions about the press, and that the campaign infringes upon them.

What they're saying

The Wall Street Journal was one of the first papers to actively denounce the campaign. WSJ columnist James Freeman says the paper's editorial board was asked to join the coalition, but refused.

  • The invitation from the Globe presents an ethical problem for editorial boards around the country, he writes: "That’s because most editorial boards emphasize their independence from the newsrooms at their respective papers."
  • Although papers should properly criticize Trump when he tries to strip down others' first amendment writes, Freeman says papers cannot do the same to the president.

The Capital Gazette, where five journalists were killed in an attack earlier this summer, is among those who have not joined the Globe's coalition. Their editorial board says they declined because "the president’s opinion, frankly, is just not that important to us."

  • "We don’t feel coordinating with other news organizations will change the president’s appreciation of that," the editorial board writes. "Even if it did, you won’t suddenly find President Trump on the front page or at the top of our website."
  • The board says that, if they align with the coalition on anything, it's their common role as "watchdogs."

The L.A. Times also chose not to participate in the Globe's campaign, stating that it wants to keep its independence.

  • Columnist Nicholas Goldberg explains: "The Los Angeles Times editorial board does not speak for the New York Times or for the Boston Globe or the Chicago Tribune or the Denver Post."
  • In other words, the paper will condemn Trump's attacks in its own way if it chooses to do so. Goldberg also argues that the coalition finally gives Trump a reason to accuse the media of "collusion."
The other side

Despite pushback from some major organizations, the coalition is still plowing ahead with its editorial push, and more than 300 papers have already joined the campaign.

The coalition also received support from the U.S. Senate Thursday, which unanimously passed a non-binding resolution stating attacks with the goal of discrediting the media is "an attack on our democratic institutions."

Go deeper:

Go deeper

Updated 23 mins ago - Politics & Policy

Coronavirus dashboard

Illustration: Annelise Capossela/Axios

  1. Politics: Trump says if Biden's elected, "he'll listen to the scientists"Trump calls Fauci a "disaster" on campaign call.
  2. Health: Coronavirus hospitalizations are on the rise — 8 states set single-day coronavirus case records last week.
  3. States: Wisconsin judge reimposes capacity limit on indoor venues.
  4. Media: Trump attacks CNN as "dumb b*stards" for continuing to cover pandemic.
  5. Business: Consumer confidence surveys show Americans are getting nervousHow China's economy bounced back from coronavirus.
  6. Sports: We've entered the era of limited fan attendance.
  7. Education: Why education technology can’t save remote learning.
2 hours ago - Health

Trump attacks CNN as "dumb b*stards" for continuing to cover pandemic

President Trump attacked CNN for continuing to cover the coronavirus pandemic, calling the network "dumb b*stards" at a campaign rally in Prescott, Arizona on Monday.

Why it matters: The president's attacks on the media and Anthony Fauci, the government's top infectious-disease expert, come as coronavirus cases and hospitalizations are again surging across the country, just two weeks out from Election Day.

3 hours ago - World

Deal to remove Sudan as terror sponsor paves way for Israel move

President Trump announced Monday that he will be removing Sudan from the State Department’s state sponsors of terrorism list after the Sudanese government agreed to pay $335 million in compensation for families of American victims of terrorism.

The big picture: Trump's announcement is part of a wider agreement that is expected to include moves from Sudan toward normalizing relations with Israel.