Eva Hambach/AFP/Getty Images
"President Trump became the first sitting U.S. president to directly address the March for Life anti-abortion rally in Washington. He spoke live via satellite from the White House Rose Garden" to the crowd on the National Mall, per USA Today:
- "Previous presidents [including] Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush addressed the march via phone call or recorded message."
- "[T]he annual rally ... marks the 45th anniversary Monday of the Supreme Court's Roe. v. Wade decision."
- Why it matters: "Trump's speech to marchers gave the protest added visibility, rededicating himself to a conservative base that he sees as the key to his election victory in 2016."
- Read Trump's remarks.
Happening this weekend ... "Women will march again with aim to become a political force," per AP:
- "Activists are returning to the streets a year after a million people rallied worldwide at marches for female empowerment, hoping to create an enduring political movement that will elect more women to government office."
- "Hundreds of gatherings are planned Saturday and Sunday across the U.S. and in places such as Beijing, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and Nairobi, Kenya."