Mar 26, 2019

Algerian army chief demands president's removal after mass protests

Protests Saturday in the Algerian city of Annaba. Photo: AFP/Getty Images

Five weeks of massive protests in Algeria reached a tipping point, as the North African country's army chief called for President Abdelaziz Bouteflika to be declared unfit for office and removed.

The backdrop: Bouteflika, 82, has rarely appeared in public since a 2013 stroke. He was only put forward for a fifth term last month because Algeria's factionalized elites couldn't decide on a successor. Earlier this month, Bouteflika called for the elections to be delayed and said he'd resign after a national conference charted the path forward. But the protesters aren't just demanding a new president — they want to topple the entire system.

What's next: With the army now opposing him, Bouteflika is unlikely to last much longer. There is a multi-step constitutional process to remove him from office, which would result in the leader of the upper house of parliament taking control until new elections can be held. In the meantime, Algeria's elites will be desperately scrambling to retain their power.

Go deeper: How the world's longest-serving leaders keep power, and hand it over

Go deeper

Coronavirus spreads to more countries, and U.S. ups its case count

Data: The Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins, the CDC, and China's Health Ministry. Note: China numbers are for the mainland only and U.S. numbers include repatriated citizens.

The novel coronavirus continues to spread to more nations, and the U.S. reports a doubling of its confirmed cases to 34 — while noting those are mostly due to repatriated citizens, emphasizing there's no "community spread" yet in the U.S. Meanwhile, Italy reported its first virus-related death on Friday.

The big picture: COVID-19 has now killed at least 2,359 people and infected more than 77,000 others, mostly in mainland China. New countries to announce infections recently include Israel, Lebanon and Iran.

Go deeperArrowUpdated 5 hours ago - Health

Wells Fargo agrees to pay $3 billion to settle consumer abuse charges

Clients use an ATM at a Wells Fargo Bank in Los Angeles, Calif. Photo: Ronen Tivony/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images

Wells Fargo agreed to a pay a combined $3 billion to the Justice Department and the Securities and Exchange Commission on Friday for opening millions of fake customer accounts between 2002 and 2016, the SEC said in a press release.

The big picture: The fine "is among the largest corporate penalties reached during the Trump administration," the Washington Post reports.